Anyone rearing orchid dottybacks?

Anyone rearing orchid dottybacks?

Postby aleece » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:24 pm

I had about 100, 20 day old ordchid dottybacks when something happened. I assume it was a spike in nitrites. I have been controlling ammonia with Chlor AmX and adjusting ph with Marine buffer at least 2x a day as necessary. Suddenly I had massive deaths. I moved everyone remaining to fresh broodstock water and added clean fat brine shrimp and rotifers along with RG complete algae so those guys are now doing ok but I am concerned as to how to prevent a spike in nitrite again. Has anyone tried putting in seasoned sponges, rock or plants to help at this stage? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. (I have read Martin Moe's book over and over.)
aleece

Re: Anyone rearing orchid dottybacks?

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm

day 18 to 20 are days when you will get mass die off
better nurtion and more water changes might help
Ben

Postby aleece » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:15 am

I still have about 10 fry now 28 days old but I am harvesting another egg ball this evening, I would like to know how other breeders are setting up there larva tanks. I currently used a small black bucket for the first few days (floating in the broodstock tank to maintain temperature) with aeration. Then I moved it to a 20 gallon tank with broodstock water filled only about 4 gallons. I added broodstock water each day. The detritus from I assume the rotifers became significant and when I tried to siphon it the fry were in it. Any suggestions? At about 25 days and some major die offs I put in a seasoned sponge with and airstone hoping to help keep the ammonia stable. Since I am using chloramx to balance the ammonia I wonder if that was a wasted effort.
aleece

Postby aleece » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:35 pm

I am at day 32 and I only have 2 dottybacks left. Any setup strategies would be helpful.
aleece

Postby aquagrrl » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:08 pm

I assume you've read Martin Moe's book on rearing dottybacks? I have no personal experience with them, but his book, while a little on the old side, covers all the trials and tribulations of rearing orchid dottybacks that he faced.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby aleece » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Thanks. It has become my bible. Unfortunately it does not cover the issues I am having. Has anyone had fry deaths resulting from a drip in of chlor-Am-X from reed mariculture? It does drop the ammonia but I am wondering if it robs the dissolved o2. I have had many deaths after adding it. I thought it was due me not paying enough attention to a change in temperature but I have since ruled that out.
aleece

New pineapple like thing all over my aquarium...any id's?

Postby aleece » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:51 pm

aquarium thing.jpg

This spiky white sponge like thing is all over my aquarium in various sizes. Any identification ideas? Is this a bad thing?
If this picture appears it is taken with my iphone through my dissection microscope at 40x. It is visible with the naked eye, about 1/8 inch overall and appears to be multicellular with a mouth hole surrounded by spiky things. It does not seem to swim just attaches.

It appears to be a syconoid sponge. Is this a terrible problem?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aleece

Postby aantreklik_jared » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 am

They aren't a problem. Inadequate lipid composition and inadequate lipid levels will cause mass die offs around day 20. This is why people have greater success with feeding wild plankton around day 3 and again from days 15-20
aantreklik_jared

Return to Larva