Hydroids!

Hydroids!

Postby KathyL » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:40 am

Got new glasses and found medusa in my larval tank….Luis, did you ever discover a way to eliminate them? I've got quite a thriving bloom.
KathyL

Re: Hydroids!

Postby aquagrrl » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:51 am

Have you tried fenbendazole? I've used it a few times when they've gotten bad.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby Luis A M » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:28 pm

KathyL wrote:Got new glasses and found medusa in my larval tank….Luis, did you ever discover a way to eliminate them? I've got quite a thriving bloom.

No,I learned to live with them :twisted: In broodstock,it´s less of a problem when they don´t get bbs.And now I´ve got Aiptasia! :evil:
I try to scrub nest substrates,so they don´t show in larval tanks.
If you´re going to start chemical warfare against them,tell us how it goes :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 pm

Yet there is something,Kathy,that seems to have done the trick.Granted,it sounds not serious or bizarre,but I ought to comment it so somebody could try.
Hydroids completely dissapeared some time after an Aiptasia outbreak.I know ,you are switching one pest for another one...But Aiptasia can be totally wiped out with Berghia (A.stephaniae).
Luis
Luis A M

Postby till » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 pm

For me Rhynchocinetes durbanensis (camel shrimp) work well to control hydroids in tanks with heavy bbs feeding. I think i wouldnt try using them in larval tanks though
till

Postby Luis A M » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:21 pm

Till,R.durbanensis,same as Lysmata debelius and peppermints are good to control Aiptasia.But I´ve never seen or heard they would take hydroids :shock:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby till » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 pm

and i never heard of debelius eating Aiptasia :) Does it work well? I ve always been using peppermints for this job.

We have a lot of porcelain crabs in University. They are fed with Artemia metanauplii and other small food particles daily. Hydroids usually take over the tanks very quickly so i just move a pair of R. durbanensis around to ged rid of them. This works very well. I guess they would prey on larvae but it may be worth trying.
till

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Yes,debelius can dispatch a large Aiptasia overnight.While peppermints (boggessi,asiatic sp)can´t harm large ones;they only feed on the small ones halting their propagation.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby till » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:23 pm

In my experience they also eat the big ones if hungry enough. With 6-8 boggessi, seticaudata / 100l i could get several tanks completely free of Aiptasia.
till

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:43 pm

Well,IME,I keep 3 Lysmata sp living happily with some large Aiptasia.But unlike other tanks without shrimps,I never see small ones.
The problem with Aiptasia is that they take shelter into the system´s pipework,where shrimp can´t reach them and from where they can invade any clean tank...
I guess we´ve gone off topic,but since Kathy doesn´t show... :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Amie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 am

aquagrrl wrote:Have you tried fenbendazole? I've used it a few times when they've gotten bad.

This has worked for me as well. I really feel lucky. Over the years, I've never had a serious problem with hydroids. And my 'pet berghias' take care of aiptasia for me.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Return to Larva