Our first attempt at raising Percula's

Our first attempt at raising Percula's

Postby edandsandy » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:26 pm

After reading several threads and asking many questions about raising clown fish.. we decided to give it a try...

We received our rotifers last week from Reed Mariculture followed all the rules and on day 4 harvested my first batch of rotifers... So I decided to start another culture just in case our first culture crashed. Both batches are doing fine.

We set up a 10g fry tank, took water from our reef tank/parent tank, placed a boat load of rotifers in the tank along with green water, air stone and heater.

Tonight is day/night 8 and as I type our baby Percula's are hatching...
Ed is guessing we have about 200 eggs, most of the fry are swimming towards the light. Just a few our out side of the larvae catcher....

This is so exciting!
edandsandy

Re: Our first attempt at raising Percula's

Postby BaboonScience » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:16 am

Good luck.
Clowns are fun to rear. Just be careful that you have enough food (rotifers) for the number of fish that you harvest. That may mean culling if your rotifer supply is not dense enough.
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby edandsandy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:11 am

Thank you John,
This morning all the larvae are smimming, I left the 15w lamp on all night. I also added more rotifers this morning.
We stopped collecting the larvae around 1:30 am, we noticed some unhatched larvae and again this morning. I don't know if they are infertile eggs or will hatch tonight.

Heres a picture of the babies this morning.

edandsandy

Postby CoralAndFishDepot » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:22 am

Congrats! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.
CoralAndFishDepot

Postby edandsandy » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you... Their color looks great.... The unhatched eggs from last night are still "unhatched" so maybe tonight???
I know I have a long way to go, but I'm still excited...hehe....
edandsandy

Postby edandsandy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:38 am

Well we tried to save the remaing eggs from the parent tank.... The larvae were incrediably small.... So lesson learned... If they don't hatch on night 8, don't try to save them tomorrow.

This morning there were appx. 20 larvae on the bottom of the tank

So I siphoned them out, cleaned up the bottom of the tank a little and replaced appx. 3/4g of water one drop per second.

There is still a large amount of rotifers in the tank, so..... I don't know if there were to many rotifers in the tank and they gorged themselfs to death, or if too many rotifers caused oxygen depletion/carbon dioxide build up... or if my light was too strong for a few minutes, if they were just the weak ones......

The ammonia level is normal, tempertaure is steady at 78..... I have not turned off the light for more than a few minutes since they hatched.
My plan is to leave the light on for the first 48 hrs. I'm using 2 paper towels as a layered filter for the light, and planning to remove one layer today.
Then lights on for 15 hrs, off for 9.

A picture of the tank after I cleaned the bottom.... I should have taken before and after pictures of the bottom..... oh well, next time...... can you count how many there are???

edandsandy

Postby Suzy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:28 am

112?

Good luck! You will love this advanced part of the hobby. I still remember my first meta!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby edandsandy » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Suzy wrote:112?

Good luck! You will love this advanced part of the hobby. I still remember my first meta!

Thank you Suzy,
I'm excited to just "try" and raise the babies.... I know I still have a lot to learn.
edandsandy

Postby edandsandy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 am

Day 4 and no losses today, I guess we are rolling right along into meta..... Not to much to say other than everyone is eating and growing so fast
edandsandy

Postby Suzy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:10 pm

Sweet! Strong work!
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby edandsandy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 am

Day 5 pdh
the larvae seem to be doing just fine, other than we had 3 dead larvae this morning. I cleaned the bottom of the tank, removed 1g of water and replaced 1g of water with the dosing pump... It takes appx 2-1/2 hours using the dosing pump... I added 2ml of RG Complete and will introduce just a bit of BBS this afternoon.

I hope the link works for the video...

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff17 ... 8A124E.mp4
Last edited by edandsandy on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
edandsandy

Postby Jjay88 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:19 pm

Awesome job!
Jjay88

Postby edandsandy » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:48 pm

Thank you Jjay88

I have tried to count them over and over again.. So I took a picture today, printed it, and boy was I ever surprised!!!!!

156 babies

I truly had no idea we had that many....

I'm starting to wean them off rotifers and on to BBS.... I'm just going to let them eat the rotifers left over in the tank... I'm still tinting the water with
RG Complete. I'm not sure if they ate the BBS or not....

I seen a few of the larger one actually swimming today... It is so funny to watch them "swim" not the jerky motion... So maybe they were swimming after the new food.....

I have my sponge filter "seasoning" now, so I guess I'll add it to the tank around day 10, and remove the black out panels Ed made for me.

I haven't "cleaned" the walls yet, just the bottom of the tank... I have noticed a sticky film on it...

Anyone here clean the sides of the tank?
edandsandy

Postby Scottt » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:45 am

Nice work!
I usually don't clean the sides, other than the viewing side in a larval tank. I think they develop ammonia-eating bacteria. If you have a sponge filter going that should take care of that for you though.

Is RG-Complete OK to use as a greenwater? I know some of the RG products are too oily and should only be used in a rotifer culture.
Scottt

Postby edandsandy » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:39 am

Scottt wrote:Nice work!
I usually don't clean the sides, other than the viewing side in a larval tank. I think they develop ammonia-eating bacteria. If you have a sponge filter going that should take care of that for you though.

Is RG-Complete OK to use as a greenwater? I know some of the RG products are too oily and should only be used in a rotifer culture.

Thank you Scott,
That a good question on the RG Complete.... As far as "I" know it is... But I'm sure someone will chime in soon... Or at lease I hope so. What else should I use to tint the water and keep the rotifers feed in their system?
edandsandy

Postby edandsandy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:35 am

8 dph, today I noticed all the larvae swimming or cruising through the water, swishing their caudal fins back and forth and paddling with their pectoral fins. I noticed the pigmentation developing, fin rays, and it apperrs the air bladder is developing. I also noticed the white translucent upper portion of the head band developing! My babies are growing so fast!

They seem to be chasing the BBS now, and they are sort of pecking at the Octomine A as well... I added just a little bit of rotifers, there are just a few that are not developing as fast as the others.
edandsandy

Postby Scottt » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm

That sounds like wonderfull progress.
There is always a range of speed of development, and growth. You're doing nothing wrong there.

Let us know how the RG complete works as a greenwater. Other options are 'RotiGreen-Iso, RotiGreen-Omega, 'Rotigreen-Nanno' and also just plain nannochloposis or t-iso, live or dead.
Scottt

Postby edandsandy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:50 am

13 dph, we have about 3-4 tiny larvae still, this morning I found one dead on the bottom...So we have 152 larvae now. I'm not sure if it died from weaning them off rotifers or if it's because they are still so small..
I was adding just a few rotifers to help keep the tiny larve feed. I guess it wasn't enough??? I can see the larvae are enjoying the BBS, so in the morning after I clean the tank, I have been adding some golden pearl or octomine A, I wait for about an hour then I feed them more BBS. I see most of the larvae have the white translucent upper portion head band starting, and 4-5 have their mid body bar.
edandsandy

Postby edandsandy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:07 pm

15 dph.....Not much of an update, no losses in 2 days......Except the larva are getting so big! The 3-4 tiny ones are finally growing...
They are not really interested in the Octomina A or Golden Pearls
I usually offer the dry food in the morning, after they have eaten all the live food from the day before....
They are pecking at it, just a few of the larger ones are actually eating the dry food.

So I usually wait for an hour, clean up the uneaten food off the bottom of the tank, then add just a little rotifers for the tiny larva and then a fair amount of BBS...
edandsandy

Postby Scottt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:13 pm

Sounds like you are doing great. By this age start feeding the otohime or pearls before the BBS/rotifers, so they get used to eating it while hungry. Just make sure it is the right size for their mouth. You should be able to not use any BBS/rotifers once the head bands show up. I usually continue with some rotifers (I stopped using BBS completely about 6 months ago) for a couple days after they get head bands (metamorphosis). Once through metta, they have a head band, and are much heartier. Congratulations, from what you mention, you no longer have larvae, they are now juvenile clownfish. You're past all the major hurdles; now it's just a water quality game.
Scottt

Postby edandsandy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Scottt wrote:Sounds like you are doing great. By this age start feeding the otohime or pearls before the BBS/rotifers, so they get used to eating it while hungry. Just make sure it is the right size for their mouth. You should be able to not use any BBS/rotifers once the head bands show up. I usually continue with some rotifers (I stopped using BBS completely about 6 months ago) for a couple days after they get head bands (metamorphosis). Once through metta, they have a head band, and are much heartier. Congratulations, from what you mention, you no longer have larvae, they are now juvenile clownfish. You're past all the major hurdles; now it's just a water quality game.

Thanks Scott!

Juvenile Clowns.... Whew.... I never imgained I could do this! It is so rewarding... Lots of work, but very rewarding...
My count is 152 survivors and today is 17 dph for me.

So If I understand you corrrectly, You keep feeding your larvae rotifers until you see their head band develop and then you start on dry food?

I still have 3-4 that haven't develope thier first band and I have 3-4 who have already developed thier 3 band and their pelvic fin is starting to turn black... So I was just trying to make sure I'm feeding everyone correctly...

I find it extremely fascinating how some are developing faster than others...

With my Banggia's they are "born ready" so to speak. :wink:
edandsandy

Postby Scottt » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 pm

I think what you're doing is perfect. I was just mentioning weaning them off of live foods asap as it is cheaper, easier, and maybe healthier? They should be able to consume just dead food after meta. Your continuation of live foods for the slow developers is great, no harm there. It's a good practice to add tiny bits of the dry stuff from day 2 or 3 on. It wont sustain them until after meta, but it will help them learn to like it. You might already be doing this, I can not remember.

This could be false, but I always hypothesized that the variation in development rate was due to the type of reproduction. The hundreds of babies. This way if the food was scarce, the ones with slow metabolisms would do OK. If food was abundant, the fast growers would prosper. Just a theory though.
Scottt

Postby edandsandy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:35 pm

Thanks Scott :)

18 dph, This morning before the lights were on the juvi's I noticed they were all in ball in the corner of the tank. Super cute!
There seem to be some aggressive and dominance behavior in the faster growing juvi's....
This is normal behavior from what I have read.
This morning I fed the a combination of Octomine A and B1 since there is such a size differance in the group. After an hour I cleand the bottom of the tank and replaced 1g of water. I offered some BBS again this morning and of course, they went NUTS and ate every one of them...
I haven't lost any fry since day 14.

I took a short video of the juvi's, batch 2 eggs and picture of the new Banggai this morning

Yesterdays birth of the Banggai

This morning, as you can see they still have the yolk sack.. It is half the size of yesterday's so I offered them rotifers, they didn't seem to interested, but then when I feed BBS, they started swimming to eat them.. It is difficult for them to swim with the large yolk sack

Batch 2 eggs

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...psdd906cc3.mp4

Juvi's
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ps1e6bf156.mp4

Hope you enjoy!
edandsandy

Postby Jjay88 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:10 pm

LOVE the pics!! You guys are doin a awesome job :D keep it up!
Jjay88

Postby edandsandy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:37 pm

Thank you!
How's your project coming along?
edandsandy

Next

Return to Larva