Artemia as first food

Artemia as first food

Postby JulioC » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:05 am

This monday I had a batch with problems. I think I put aireation veri strong so most of the fry died first night.

Since I didn´t want to raise just a few I used the tank to raise some artemia. I put a lot of artemia and nan to feed them.

Yesterday (day 4) the ones that survived first night were still alive and there is no artemia in the tank. I have not added more artemia from monday so it is difficult to understand if they are eating artemia. They are not very fat but are not skinny.

Has any of you raised some clowns just with artemia? I added some rotifers today since there is no artemia in the tank.

Julio
JulioC

Re: Artemia as first food

Postby Luis A M » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:09 pm

You´re meaning clowns?.Yes,clowns can be raised with bbs + Otohime,but only some few.I,ve done that in the past,when got out/short of rots.Now if needed,I can replace the rots with copepods,with good results. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby macaefernandes » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Hi,

Sory to be using your thread to ask a question :oops: , but the theme is artemia so here it goes:

I have some fry ( bet. 100-150 ) of clownfish, and i will introduce them to BBS soon. However i just dont know how much quantitie off artemia eggs to use in each air bottle?

How do you guys measure the quantitie needed? How many times and how much a day must i feed the fry?

Please, :) give me some lights cause tomorrow ill start with it and i could not yet find the answer for these questions
macaefernandes

Postby Luis A M » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Macae,
there are different ways to feed Artemia,this is how I do it.
I strain hatched decapped eggs in a cloth coffee filter and then I scoop from the bbs mass with a chemistry measuring spoon,each measure being about two rice grains.I feed 1-4 measures,according to how much the fry are taking.I feed once a day,in the evening,and there should be some leftovers next morning.If not,I must increase the amount given.
I hatch in excess,and the remaining is given to bbs eating broodstock,or raised.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Larva