When should I move fry to growout?

When should I move fry to growout?

Postby JulioC » Thu May 17, 2012 11:52 am

I is said that fish sould be moved to growout when they are 30 days old.

I have a fry tank conected to parents tank and a separated growout system. I usually move them when they are 27 days old.

A few days ago I moved 13 days old fish to that tank and all of them seem to had a heart attack but a few minutes later they were swimming normally (it´s been 3 days now and they are OK).

Has anyone tried moving then earlier than 30 days?

I don´t now if I should plumb my fry tanks to parents tank to reduce maintenance or I´ll be able to move them when they are 15/20 days old. The "heart attack" damage fry or it is only a survival strategy to simulate being dead?

Julio
Last edited by JulioC on Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JulioC

Re: When shoul I move fry to growout?

Postby Luis A M » Thu May 17, 2012 2:13 pm

No,Julio, it is a genuine stress induced shock,and it could be deadly.
It is not related to different water parameters but to netting them out of the water.That is why 30 days is advised. :wink:
But you can try herding them into a small specimen container,this is usually safe. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Re: When should I move fry to growout?

Postby JulioC » Thu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Thanks Luis.
I will add another tank so I can wait to 30 days :) I´ll plumb it to parents system so I can reduce Water changes (I´ll try to cennect systems at day 15).

Regards,
Julio
JulioC

Postby CaptCrash » Fri May 18, 2012 8:59 am

About 2 weeks ago, I needed to move some just settled fish to grow out as I was running out of room for fry in my RBT's.

I ended up doing two big water changes (60-70% each) the day before the move and the morning of the move. Then 12 hours later I moved the fish, water and all into an empty tank in my grow out system.
This moved about 40L of water and 400+ occys at day 14 from hatch. Not a single one had any shock type result (playing dead) and I have not lost a single fish since the move.

I moved them from the RBT to the tank in 1L scoops with a cola bottle with the top cut off.

This is only time that I have done this, I normally leave them in the RBT for about 30 days or so. But Im planning to repeat the process with my next batches week and see if I get a similar result.

It seemed a lot less stressful for both me and the fish, doing it this way. I was also able to run a nice slow acclimatisation to the grow out system water. The only down side is the introduction of some left over water from the RBT, but most of this was only one day old and fairly clean.

regards

Darren
Stay up to date with my attempts at Regal Tang Breeding here http://facebook.com/RegalTangBreeding
CaptCrash

Postby JulioC » Fri May 18, 2012 12:09 pm

Thanks

I will try that in a tank with only 15 occs left. How did you manage to put 400 fish in a small container? It is not fast when you net I can´t imagine trying to catch them with half bottle.

Julio
JulioC

Postby JulioC » Sun May 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Following Luis and Darren advise I moved 15 fry to growout.

First I tried moving them with a 1L container but it was very difficult since they are fast swimmers. Then I net them BUT i placed them in the container without puting them out of the water (since Luis said that that is the problem). All of them were swimming perfectly instantly.

I moved the last one just with the net and he had the famous "Heart attack". He recovered after a few minutes but this confirms the theory that the problem is the contact with air.

Julio
JulioC

Postby WestOhooligan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:12 am

Old thread, but I just moved about 75 or so fry who at the time, were only about 14-15 days old. I used a net, because herding them seemed to cause more stress. The tank I moved them to though, was literally right next to the one they were in, so net time was probably less than 2 seconds and most seemed to me, that they didn't notice anything was different. I was nervous as hell moving them though.
WestOhooligan

Postby JulioC » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:49 am

That´s good.
If I move mine at 20 days just with a net they seem to have a "Hearth Atack" but they recover fast. Now I move them just with a net BUT I put them in a container so they don´t stay in the air. (Net them, then add a bowl to the water to put the net in it and remove them safely).

What are you feeding them? It is recomended not to feed artemia if you will move fry.

Julio
JulioC

Postby WestOhooligan » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:23 pm

I ONLY feed TDO to my fry/juveniles.
WestOhooligan

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:41 pm

I started netting my current juvies around 20 days old to get a look at them. I also figured it would be good to see how they deal with the stress, and maybe(?) acclimate them to the netting procedure. I've netted them 3 times now (they are 25 days old now) and they recover very quickly.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Armadus » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:32 pm

I've had terrible luck moving fry to growout. I use the kreisel method posted by BaboonScience and at first I was siphoning them out. Now I drain most of the water from the kreisel and move the entire contraption to a new tank. Then I submerge and rotate the kreisel so all the fish slowly swim out. Not a single loss this way.
Armadus

Return to Larva