Floating larvae related to photoperiod?

Floating larvae related to photoperiod?

Postby ClarkiiiCircus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:45 am

Hi,
So this is my second hatch. I had some water quality issues during the first two days, but now water is in good standing and stable. My problem now is floating larvae. Like 90% of the fish left are floating sideways on the surface. Every now and then they straighten out and swim normal for a bit, then they seem to get bored and float side ways. When I go to touch them with the airline, they swim dart away and look pretty normal. I did not have this problem in my first batch (which I lost due to a ridiculous heater mistake). The main difference btw the procedure from the first batch is the photoperiod. Now, ive been giving 24/7 light and its now day 3. Im starting to think they are just tired and need to rest so they are floating to save energy. Idk? Do you think the photoperiod is too long? Im thinking about doing 20/4 tonight then 18/6 tomorrow and trying to keep it at 16/8 from then on. Does that sound like a good idea? Any and all advise is appreciated. Thanks
ClarkiiiCircus

Re: Floating larvae related to photoperiod?

Postby Suzy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:05 am

I still do 24/7 light, because I have been too busy to set up more electricity to set up a timer. I think your plan would be good for them.

What are you enriching your rotifers with?
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby ClarkiiiCircus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:57 am

Im not enriching the rotifers now. Im looking in to ordering selco. What what you recommend? Do you think my problem is related to malnourished rotifers?
ClarkiiiCircus

Postby Suzy » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:42 am

What are you using to grow the rotifers? Brine Shrimp Direct and Reed Mariculture have good algae pastes, and those are what I use to enrich.
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby ClarkiiiCircus » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Yeah, I just grow them with the rotifer diet from Reed Mariculture, but I ordered the Nanno 3600. So I should start with that soon.
ClarkiiiCircus

Postby Luis A M » Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Yet floaters is something unusual and bad,perhaps related to nasty bacteriae? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby ClarkiiiCircus » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:33 am

Yeah thats what Im thinking too. Do you think it was because I did not clean my larval tank very well after a failed attempt from my first batch? I only wiped the tank out with a sponge and a a paper towel. Should I have used clorox or something?
Lousi- How would you suggest I clean my larval tank before my next hatch? (hopefully this sunday) Do I leave water in there or should I let in try in the sun?
ClarkiiiCircus

Postby WestOhooligan » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Not that I can dispense a ton of advice, but a friend on another forum says he bleaches his hatch tanks between clutches each time.
WestOhooligan

Postby Suzy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:39 pm

I used to bleach everything before I got to be lazy....
www.Suzysreef.com
Suzy
Read-Only

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 am

ClarkiiiCircus wrote:Yeah thats what Im thinking too. Do you think it was because I did not clean my larval tank very well after a failed attempt from my first batch? I only wiped the tank out with a sponge and a a paper towel. Should I have used clorox or something?
Lousi- How would you suggest I clean my larval tank before my next hatch? (hopefully this sunday) Do I leave water in there or should I let in try in the sun?

Call it overkill,but to be on the safe side,you could clean and dry the tank,then fill it with new chlorinated water.
If this doesnt work,you can add hyposalinity and antibiotics.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Larva