How to up my clownfish survival rate??

How to up my clownfish survival rate??

Postby Julio » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:55 am

First post so I want to thank you for having me here, very informative site. So im breeding blackice clowns and have got some to juvenile phase but id like to increase my survival rate. At the moment im guessing 25 to 30% survive. Id like some imput or suggestions to do better as ive read some ppl do much better. i have the books and read them several times and do alot of research online and this site. Im at wits end trying to figure out what im doing wrong. This is what I do.

Hatch and catch using vossen larva trap
Transfer to 10 gallon blked out tank with 20% parent tank h2o and 80% fresh sw 82' at 1.020 (5 gallons total)
Heater (indicator light covered with tape) and airline under it on one side (enough air to break surface tension)
3 watt led light on other side with paper towel to diffuse light for 1st 3 days
12 hour photoperiod and moon lights at night from day one
Green water using rotigrow- About 10 drops to get it a nice dark green color
1 gallon of sieved rots that are fed rgcomplete on 1st night, 2 quarts morning after and 2 in evening there after till 10 days
Start bbs at day 5, usally what are still alive now will make it to juveniles
Start otohime at day 9
Water changes start at day 2, siphon out 1 gallon using 1/4" tubing, 1 gallon fresh sw dripped in
Parent tank water is at 0 ammonia and nitrates
Parents are fed 3 times a day- flake, pellet, frozen

I think i covered everything, any questions please ask and thanks in advance!
Julio

State/Region: Texas

Re: How to up my clownfish survival rate??

Postby Julio » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:28 am

so reading more topics i read that you need to gut feed the rots before feeding the fry. this i was not doing, i would sieve the rots and then feed the bucket. also, Ive read lights on and lights off but most ppl do lights on for 1st few days so Ill try the 24/7 lights on and see if this helps too. This these changes help some
Julio

State/Region: Texas

Re: How to up my clownfish survival rate??

Postby smfarrell » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:55 pm

Go on facebook and search clownfish breeding USA group. It's much more active than this site is.
smfarrell

Return to Larva