What does that term mean - Glossary

What does that term mean - Glossary

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Demersal Spawner - A species that lays eggs in a pre-prepared nest or site. Many Demersal Spawners exibit some form of parental egg care. e.g. Clownfish, Gobies.

Gamete - the reproductiove output of an animal, normally eggs and sperm.

Gonochorism - when the sex of the fish is determined at birth and genetically related.

Hermaphroditism - Individuals can at some point function as both sexes.

Monomorphism - When sexes can't be seperated by external characteristics.

Pelagic eggs - Eggs that are lighter than water, this causes them to drift in the water column. e.g. Angelfish, Butterflyfish.

Pelagic Spawner - Species that spawn eggs in the water column normally associated with a spawning rise, releaseing pelagic eggs.

Protandry - Sequential hermaphroditism where an individual changes from male to female. e.g. Clownfish.

Protogyny - Sequential hermaphroditism where an individual changes from female to male. e.g. Angelfish.

Sequential Hermaphroditism - A type of hermaphroditism where by the sexes can change but are seperate.

Simultaneous Hermaphroditism - A type of hermaphroditism where by sexes can occur together, allowing the individual to release sperm of eggs whilst spawning. e.g. Serranus or Hamlets.

Spawning Rise - A spawning behaviour where the spawning pair or group rise off the reef surface into the water column, normally culminated by a simultanious realease of gametes.

Useful Links

http://www.riffgefluester-forum.de/infothek/riffsex.htm
Last edited by Clownfish75 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Clownfish75

Postby Iris » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:11 am

and Informations over Sex Shifting from Prof.Dr.Ellen Thaler

http://www.riffgefluester-forum.de/infothek/riffsex.htm
><)))°> Gruß Iris
Iris

Postby Clownfish75 » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:50 am

Guys do you mind if i delete your posts so this is just a info page?

i added both your comments.

Thanks

Christian
Clownfish75

Postby mpedersen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:30 pm

UPDATE! - http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/dictionary.php - this is part of the Acrynom Replace / Auto Dictionary / Glossary 2.0 that Acroporas built.

Christian, I'll have to look through the above to see if any of those terms are not already in the new setup. They're not being caught in the original post because they are in "bold" which causes problems with HTML tags being broken up.

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Re:

Postby William » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:52 pm

mpedersen wrote: They're not being caught in the original post because they are in "bold" which causes problems with HTML tags being broken up.

Matt, I fixed this a while ago on my copy. Download the current version of definitions_replace.inc to update.
Will
William

Postby Clownfish75 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:50 pm

Hi guys, use this as you see fit, if it serves no function anymore then please do remove it.

Could be good to leave the origional, first of so there is s omething in this forum and if people have terms they cant find, posting it here will give them the little drop down they may not be aware of.

Christian
Clownfish75

Re:

Postby mpedersen » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:36 pm

acroporas wrote:
mpedersen wrote: They're not being caught in the original post because they are in "bold" which causes problems with HTML tags being broken up.

Matt, I fixed this a while ago on my copy. Download the current version of definitions_replace.inc to update.

OK, crap, did I miss something!? I bet I did!

Christian, for the moment I'll leave this post up, and once we have the glossary/dictionary page linked up, we'll probably pull this one down, or not...doesn't hurt anyone being here!

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Return to Broodstock