Male clown dominating the female? - strange

Male clown dominating the female? - strange

Postby GeorgeCheck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:25 am

I have a pair of Darwin Ocellaris Clownfish; bought from a fellow reefer (who was not successful at getting them to spawn) around 4 months ago. The female is almost 3 times the size of the assumed male. The Female is definitely female, big belly, built for storing eggs, like shes laid a lot in the past. The male looks male, but its behaviour is odd. Its like he is getting all up in the females face to try and get her to lay? He rubs up against her and puts his face near her abdomen / ovipositor region, she doesnt seem too phased by it. I note that he doesnt shake in submission, perhaps they have been together for a while no longer need to do this? They both sweep, and pick at their clay pot diligently throughout the day. Both have various appetites and eat really well. They don't fight, this behaviour is very one-sided coming only from the male. Male clown is around 2.5 inches long, female is around 5 inches long. Has anyone seen this kind of behaviour before? I have no reference point to gauge what this behaviour actually means so any input would be greatly appreciated!!
GeorgeCheck

Re: Male clown dominating the female? - strange

Postby Luis A M » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:42 pm

Though very unusual,you could have ended with a female/female pair :shock: You will know for sure if they both lay.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby GeorgeCheck » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:33 pm

Could be? I get the impression that the male is trying to motivate the female into laying as he seems to be the one getting all touchy-feely. He's not trying to assert dominance over the assumed female but rather its like a display. I guess wait and see is the only option at this point...
GeorgeCheck

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:23 pm

Most probably is just a non conventional male :D Just wait and see.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Broodstock