Need some suggestion about feeding

Need some suggestion about feeding

Postby superfish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 am

Really need some suggestion about feeding and day/night cycle for both clownfish broodstock and grow out.

My fish room is at the place I work, not at home. So i can not feed them at night before lights go out. Also, I try to wait more then 4 hours before feeding them the next meal. Because I feel they don't eat well if I feed them too frequent. Therefore, now I only feed my broodstock 3 times a day ( 2 times on weekends, skip the breakfast cuz I can't get up)

Currently, for broodstock, day night cycle is 730am-830pm. I feed them 3 times a day @ 9:00am 1:00pm and 5:30pm
For GO, day night cycle is the same and I feed them @ 9:00 12:00 2:30 and 5:30
Anyone can give me some suggestion about my schedule??
Should I drive back after dinner and feed them before lights go out? Will it affect a lot?

Also one more question. For every meal I feed the broodstock pellets + frozen brine ( or home blend seafood). Of course, they love the brine better. But for several pairs it seems they usually just ignore the pellets and wait me to feed them the shrimp. What should I do, stop feeding them frozen?

Any suggestion will be a great help! Thanks!
superfish

State/Region: Illions

Re: Need some suggestion about feeding

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:20 pm

You seem to run things on a sound schedule 8) .You don´t need to drive back to give them that last meal.
Feed 1st pellets and then brine shrimp...
And welcome! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks, Luis.
And for several pairs they just ignore the pellets and waiting me to feed the brine. Any suggestion on that?
Also I'm currently feeding them new life spectrum, but I saw people talking about otohime. Is it a lot better? Should I switch over?
BTW, I read some of ur posts these a couple of days and they r really helpful. Thanks a lot
superfish

Postby Luis A M » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Spectrum is a good feed.But I think TDO (Otohime) should be cheaper,compare prices.If you raise many fish,food cost weighs in. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 am

oh, yes, that's right. I think I will switch over once i get more babies.!
superfish

Postby superfish » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:21 pm

Luis, one more question.
i was looking at the reed mariculture website. it seems they have both TDO chroma boost and otohime fish diet. i thought they are the same thing but they are not.
it seems TDO is more expensive. but look like both of them are for fish breeding.
so which one should i buy for broodstock and baby fish. or what different affect would they have.
thanks!

Luis A M wrote:Spectrum is a good feed.But I think TDO (Otohime) should be cheaper,compare prices.If you raise many fish,food cost weighs in. :wink:
superfish

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:39 pm

They are the same: T(op)D(ressed)O(tohime). :wink:
You pay some more for the TDO but spare the work of top dressing.
B1 and C1.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:21 pm

i see!
thanks Luis.
since i already bought the original otohime at the first place, how much precentage of astaxanthin do you think i should add?
on the astaxanthin package it says 1/500, but i feel it did not make any difference, so now i add 1/100 into the otohime pellets.
im not sure if its enough or is it kind of too much?

Luis A M wrote:They are the same: T(op)D(ressed)O(tohime). :wink:
You pay some more for the TDO but spare the work of top dressing.
B1 and C1.
superfish

Postby Luis A M » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:27 pm

1g NatuRose + 2ml oil in 100 g feed.
Your instints were good! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:38 am

Luis, what kind of oil should I use? Regular veg oil?
Also, in the past 6 weeks, I have been feeding only NLS(no time to make frozen & bought wrong size TDO)
The hatch rate getting lower. Several pairs, most eggs got eaten during day 4-7. Do u think the food could be the main issue.? Now I started feeding frozen blend, not sure if it's gonna make change.
Luis A M wrote:1g NatuRose + 2ml oil in 100 g feed.
Your instints were good! :D
superfish

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:45 am

NLS :?: :?
Any oil,like soy oil will do.But I like to use squid or fish oil.I imagine it makes the food more attractive and nutritious.
See this: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=376
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:44 am

Luis A M wrote:NLS :?: :?
Any oil,like soy oil will do.But I like to use squid or fish oil.I imagine it makes the food more attractive and nutritious.
See this: viewtopic.php?f=137&t=376

Luis, I tried and your method works great!
Thanks a lot.
Also I was trying to find the "naturose", but brine shrimp direct didn't have it. So I ended up buying astaxanthin on ebay. I'm not sure if they are considered the same thing, and will it work as good. I have been using this astaxanthin powder for over a month now. It seems adding some color to the baby fish, but not as good as I expect.
should I add more, maybe 2g per 100gram? How can I turn my clowns into those super red clowns.
superfish

Postby Luis A M » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:27 pm

According to what is accepted,overdosing is useless,going to waste.With this dose you get nice natural colours.
But it is true that there was a time when ORA produced some unnatural though striking fluo coloured fish.Nobody seem to know how nor were able to achieve such intense colour. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby superfish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 pm

Luis A M wrote:According to what is accepted,overdosing is useless,going to waste.With this dose you get nice natural colours.
But it is true that there was a time when ORA produced some unnatural though striking fluo coloured fish.Nobody seem to know how nor were able to achieve such intense colour. :?

yea, i went to a LFS, showed them my clowns. The owner said, the color is not ideal, he want all those "red clowns".
im trying to figure out how to reach that color. my snowflake offspring are coming, maybe i can get better color than my picassos.
superfish

Postby superfish » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:09 pm

double post
superfish

Return to Broodstock