Pairing new fish - Advise needed

Pairing new fish - Advise needed

Postby JulioC » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:14 pm

I´ve just bought a pair of black ocellaris. I bet they are brothers since both are the sime size and arrived in the same import. They are 1.5 inch.

What would you do?
- Put them together
- Mix each of them with a regular ocellaris
- Wait for other import to mix them with "new blood" (trying to look for differen origin to avaid buying new brothers)

With them I complete my broodstock. I have orange ocellaris, picasso ocellaris, prenmas and now black ocellaris :D

Julio
JulioC

Re: Pairing new fish - Advise needed

Postby Amie » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 am

Are you concerned about mixing them because they are from the same broodstock?
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby JulioC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:34 am

Yes. i´ve read that problems occur after a few generations but I don´t know if their parens are siblings or not.

Now I keep them in the same tank with 2 small regullar ocellaris.

If i find larger black ocellaris I´ll pair them but if they grow and I can´t find others maybe I should try them togehter, right?
JulioC

Postby Luis A M » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Hola Julio,
The potential problems brought by inbreeding are minimal and you could well disregard them at least for many generations.
Conversely,Darwins are probably a different species and should not be mixed with ocellaris unless you deliberately want to produce an hybrid form.And their offspring are not nearly as nice as any of their parents! :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby JulioC » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Thank´s Luis, I´ll keep them while growing. If I find large black ocellaris I´ll mix them, if not I´ll use them.

I have a pair of regular ocellaris that are siblings (both of them have a small dot near their head). Once I raise some fry from them and some have problems in their mouth. They couldn´t close their mouth. Maybe it was because it was one of their first batches and were not strong enough. I´ll give them another chance to confirm they produce malformities.

Julio
JulioC

Postby DjScRiBbLe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Darwin's really a diff species? Thought they were just black occi from a diff local? I paired my lonely misbar normal ocillaris with a Darwin to make mochas so hope they turn out nice.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
DjScRiBbLe

State/Region: Minnesota

Postby Luis A M » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:48 pm

No,I say probably they are,but not officially until somebody publishes a formal description.They live in western Australia,far from ocellaris range and ee that the dorsal fin is low,as in percula.
Luis
Luis A M

Return to Broodstock