Is sump 100% reqired?

Is sump 100% reqired?

Postby JuanJo » Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Hello, i have been making some reaserch but i still cant find a good anser to my question. Do you all use sumps?
JuanJo

State/Region: Guatemala

Re: Is sump 100% reqired?

Postby onsan » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:34 am

I suspect most would, but no, they are not essential.
For brood tanks, they are a convenient way to separate filtration, pumping, heating and any other ancillary equipment you may have.
It simplifies (and beautifies) the brood tank by keeping all the junk in one place, so that when you need to tend to your breeders you don't have to battle with equipment in the same space.
with fry growout tanks, less so, but again, depends on your particular circumstances.
onsan

Postby shorty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 am

agree'd - i think it is mainly convenience... with the added bonus of increasing total volume size of they system.
I have not done this yet, but just this week I have been considering a growout tank with no sump. It could work the same for broodstock... I am just a hobbiest, so I don't need a huge amount of tanks. I just found a old used 100gal for $30 and was going to divide it up into 5 x 10" sections (15 gal each) and the rest would be the 'sump' area with top off, heater, and filtration. Even though this may not be as pretty as a sumped system - plumbing would be pretty simple, no drilling needed, and almost no head pressure on your main 'return' pump.
shorty

State/Region: Illinois

Postby Luis A M » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:30 pm

Though a bucket of bioballs over the tank would help a lot with the carrying capacity :wink:
Y bienvenido Juanjo!Cuentanos del acuarismo en Guatemala! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby shorty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:14 pm

Good to know! I'll have to encorporate my old sack of bio balls out in the garage. ;)
shorty

State/Region: Illinois

Return to Broodstock