buying a breeding pair...

buying a breeding pair...

Postby bigian » Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:05 pm

I'm contemplating buying a pair of Snowflake clownfish. The story goes like this...The guy selling them got them from his LFS, a guy that had owned them for many years had a tank crack so he had to give his livestock to the LFS. In his possession he said they had been breeding. The female is 3" and the male is 1.5-2"

The guy selling them acquired them knowing that they'd produced eggs with the original owner so he put them in a small tank with a terra cotta pot. He's had them in his possession for a month and hasn't had them lay and said he has too many other project going on anyway so he's posted them for sale.

If I receive them, I know there's a chance they won't breed at all but if they do begin to produce eggs, up to how long could it take?

All he can give is his word that the original owner has them laying, that guy gave him no proof nor has he produced any of his own proof.

According from their size it does seem very plausible that they've laid but with no guarantee, should I take the chance? If I do, what kind of timeline am I possibly looking at to get eggs?

Thanks, Ian!!!
bigian

State/Region: Cali

Re: buying a breeding pair...

Postby Luis A M » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Hmmm,tough question,tough decission :?
The wierd part is why the last buyer is giving up after only a month.
If the fish look healthy and feeding,and within reasonable price,I´d buy them and wait for two years under my conditions before selling them again :wink:
and welcome to MOFIB-Marine Breeders! :D
Luis
Luis A M

Postby bigian » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:24 pm

Thanks Luis, I went ahead and bought them. For their size they should eventually breed if I keep them happy, especially at their size, 3" and 1.75", and for $350 it was worth the gamble to produce some snowflakes of my own :)

bigian

State/Region: Cali

Postby bermudarick » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:07 pm

Nice looking fish. For $350 I'd take that gamble too.
bermudarick

State/Region: nova scotia

Return to Broodstock