Why do my pairs keep eating their eggs?

Why do my pairs keep eating their eggs?

Postby ddwatson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:59 pm

So I am new to this site and hoping to gain some much needed knowledge. I will post more of my setup in the near future to get feedback but I am wondering why some of my pairs keep eating their eggs. My platinums in particular. They have laid 4 times and have eaten all of the eggs within a day of laying. I feed 4 times a day 2 meaty frozen foods and 2 TDO. Water temp around 82. I know it is normal for them to eat their eggs initially but 4 seems to be excessive.

Also what is the trick to getting large clutch sizes. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to getting to know everyone on here :D
ddwatson

State/Region: South Carolina

Re: Why do my pairs keep eating their eggs?

Postby Scottt » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:12 am

As far as cluch size goes, I have always just seen them get bigger as they age. Sometimes I've seen water quality go with egg-eating, but it would have to be pretty high nitrates. Also as you say, as they age they eat them less in general.
Scottt

Postby ddwatson » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:51 pm

Thanks for the input. Anybody else with any ideas? Here is some follow up info. The platinums in particular have eaten them 5 times now. My mochas laid huge clutches in the beginning and now eat about half or more of their eggs before the hatch. I feed 4 times a day. 2 times TDO and 2 times frozen meat mixtures. Ammonia is at 0 Nitrates are at 10-20. From everything I have read the nitrates are not out of line. Thanks in advance for the help.
ddwatson

State/Region: South Carolina

Postby midjim » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 am

I have seen in another post once to make sure your fish are getting some greens, nori ect. Also fish row seems to get you bigger nest also i use lobster eggs. But as they say the older they get the nests get bigger.
midjim

Postby midway » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:07 pm

I agree with the other here, the older the get, the bigger the nests get. With the egg eating issue, in my own experience I've seen pairs eat their eggs because;
they're a young spawning pair and they're still figuring things out (giving them time, they will get it eventually)
Male is just infertile (You can probably see after a day of laying, the eggs just go white and they eat them)
Pairs nutrition (like other said it already here, make sure they're get their greens. Clown fish are omnivores and they need a balance diet of meaty food and veggies)

Just my two cent.
midway

State/Region: Alberta

Postby onsan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 pm

Poor egg quality or failed fertilisation, leaving one bag egg may spoil the whole clutch.
onsan

Postby Jclaas » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:52 am

onsan wrote:Poor egg quality or failed fertilisation, leaving one bag egg may spoil the whole clutch.

That explains why they remove the eggs with white dots on the end and eventually only leaving a few good eggs n my experience.
Jclaas

State/Region: East London

Postby onsan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:50 am

yes, I found that. any that looked opaque or not developing where usually picked off.
onsan

Return to Broodstock