Addison's Larval Food

Addison's Larval Food

Postby Waldend » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 pm

Hello everyone. I have lurked on here for quite a while but finally have my first pair of b&w occ. spawning so it time to get my butt in gear. :) I was getting ready to place my order for culturing supplies with Inland and noticed they had listed "Addison's Larval Food". They have a comment that it is C-Quest's first food. I have done quite a bit of looking and have found nothing about it. Can anyone provide and information on it? My thought is: I know to get my best survival rates I need to use live food. With that being said, I am currently limited on space so I know that I will not be able to house high survival rates from nests the size they are laying. If I can use this food and get a 25% survival rate I would consider it successful and most likely be at my max capacity. Later, after increasing rearing capacity, I would then make the move over to live food. Thanks for any information or suggestions.

Daniel
Waldend

Re: Addison's Larval Food

Postby Anthony Calfo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:34 am

Good question, Daniel. I'm not sure if anyone online currently can help here. In the meantime, I've emailed a friend of mine that used to work at C-Quest. Will post back if I hear anything useful.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Consultant - contact at www.ReadingTrees.com
Anthony Calfo

Postby Waldend » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:47 am

Thanks Anthony. I am thinking regardless of what information I can find I may have to make the commitment to be a guinea pig and document my results. I am curious to see if it is a cost effective alternative for low volume production levels. I look forward to hearing what you find though!
Waldend

Postby Anthony Calfo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:04 am

All good, Daniel. I need to check too with a really nice family I just met in the Iowa region. They are cranking out quite a good number of B&W clowns just from 3 ten gallon tanks, a 2 liter bottle of phyto and some cyclopeeze more or less. Slight exaggeration here, but I know that they have the same approach as you: minimal space and time for large larvae or food culture. Let's see what their technique is. Some of their hometown club members are on this board as I recall. Maybe we will hear from them too.
Aquarium hobby and aquatic science author and publisher. Micro hatchery operator (marine fishes and invertebrates).
Anthony Calfo

Postby Anthony Calfo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:00 pm

I heard from my friend that used to work at C-Quest. He said they started with simple growout foods but then an employee was doing his masters thesis on microencapsulation techniques for larval fish diets. The current evolution of their mix is supposedly their sole feed for larvae (no live foods!). No less, you have to think that survival rates would still be lower than live food. For a home aquarist, this is likely no problem (space limitations).
Anthony Calfo

Postby Waldend » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:22 am

I am going to order some of it today. I will document the process as I go. I now need to do some research on how to keep it in suspension long enough for the larvae to eat. I am wondering if a kriesel type setup would help keep it in suspended but not be too much flow for the larvae.
Waldend

Postby jetfixr » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Wow, this would be great. Not having to maintain a rotifer would be extremely convenient. I think if I could get a 25 to 40 percent survival rate I would be extremely happy, considering what a pain in the butt maintaining a rotifer culture can be.
jetfixr

Postby Waldend » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:43 pm

I have a batch on the way. It's 2oz for $13. I will be using a 5G hex with an airstone. I hope to adjust it to get a kriesel like flow. I figure ammonia will be my biggest hurdle. I will change water daily and have thought about adding a drop of Prime in the morning to last until the water change after work. I figure feed 3-4 times per day (if I can get the wife to
do one feeding while I am at work). My clowns laid a new nest last night so we will see how it goes soon! I will keep reading all I can but does anyone have any specific advice?
Waldend

Postby jetfixr » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:47 pm

So what are your first impressions of this stuff?
jetfixr

Postby Waldend » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:19 pm

2oz is not much food. I would not want to have to explain to law enforcement what this little gray ziplock of brown powder was! :)

I actually spoke with Morgan from Inland and he says a little goes a long ways. He said it worked best for Clarki complex clowns and nicely said he would be suprised if I reached 10% survival but to let him know if I did. He did confirm my thought that water quality will be my nemesis. If this doesn't work as a first food perhaps a replacement for brine after rotifers would be more successful. I will know here in about a week.
Waldend

Postby jetfixr » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:19 am

Well, hey, thanks for the update, it sounds almost too good to be true, but best of luck with it. I really don't have the time required to maintain a rotifer culture so it would be great if this stuff works.
jetfixr

Postby Anthony Calfo » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:44 am

As pointed out to me by a dear friend here at MOFIB, rotifers could not be any easier to maintain. I thought for a long time too that they were tedious, required aeration, perhaps filtration, etc. But they don't need aeration or live phyto (this is fairly common knowledge here... no great secret). I say this to assure you, my friend, that with a clean starter culture, you can literally have a jar or bucket of still water with thriving rotifers that you need only squirt some drops of phyto paste in about weekly and add (or exchange) water about once weekly. If you are feeding them regularly, you will likely be drawing enough water to make the new water replacement enough to ameliorate the culture and stave off a crash. When you are not feeding them actively, simply "cut" the culture (halve and dilute) on a regular basis... perhaps weekly, again (the other half you can feed to a reef tank, give to a local reefer, give to your LFS, etc). For feeding "rotes," I've tried a range of live, formerly-allegedly live but now now... errrrr, alive(?), and dead/prepared phyto. Like so many folks here at MOFIB I have settled very happily on phyto paste products. A bottle lasts a very long time in the refrigerator and many months if you care to freeze some of it (note: rotifers will eat thawed frozen phyto and this is indeed nutritionally better than live, aging phyto in the refrigerator). I freeze mine in small "party" ice cube trays (these are mini cocktail ice cubes) for convenience. FWIW, I support one of our MOFIB members that produces a superior phyto product (http://phyto2.com)
Anthony Calfo

Postby jetfixr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:50 am

I do find it tedious but maybe I am going about the wrong way. I tend to always be battling with ammonia chronically rising in the culture and PH is always dropping as well. So I am always matching the mix water for PH, temp and salinity so I don't send the rots into shock. I use algae paste too but I find I get a bunch of gunk in the bottom of my five gallon bucket after a while so I siphon out all the rots and toss the nasty water that is left on the bottom (about an inch of gunk)
jetfixr

Postby Anthony Calfo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:50 am

No worries, this is a common experience, often in large part from overfeeding. Feeding paste is do be done in mere drops... not squirts. I am quite guilty of overfeeding or at least I was. It really takes rather little phyto (especially as paste) to rear rotes. Just experiment, my friend, with some smaller cultures (scavenge smaller glass jars, plastic tubs, etc... maybe a trip to Wal-Mart or Sam's Club is on order here to kill some bulk food cravings conveniently :)) Have you also tried Florida Aqua Farms roti-rich? I buy the dry mix and find it to be even more convenient than live algae and more nutritious than paste aging in a refrigerator.

As for the gunk at the bottom of a culture... indeed, this is par for the course. Everyone deals with it differently. I like to pour off the top 80-90% of a rote culture on a very regular basis into a new, clean vessel and then bleach the old one for use on the next swap. If you are faithful to this you will have far greater stability. It is like scraping nearly invisible algae quickly a few times weekly on a display tank rather than struggle to scrape down an older growth less often. The "gunk" I like to feed to my reef tanks or filter feeder cultures (Aiptasia, sponge, Anemonia for nudibranchs, etc).
Anthony Calfo

Postby cspurr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:33 pm

So how did the Addison's Food go? Would love to read some followup... :D
cspurr

Postby Waldend » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm

I actually have not tried it yet. I have been travelling out of town for a few days here and there lately so I haven't had a chance to raise a nest yet. I have decided to use it as a 2nd food though. I will use rotifers first then try to replace BBS with the Addison's. I am hoping to raise some in late March or early April.
Waldend

Postby cspurr » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:41 am

Ok...please keep us all posted on the outcome of your experiment. I am thinking of doing the same thing with my clowns. Although feeding BBS are so easy and economical...it would be interesting if you could get by without any live food whatsoever... It would be totally cool if the baby clowns would accept "astronaut" food like humans. I figure 10%-20% through growout would be acceptable in my opinion, eventhough some are experiencing 90% on live food through growout.
cspurr

Postby rrcg50 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I don't use bbs at all . I get about 60% survival rate
rrcg50

Postby chuggy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:26 am

you can pretty easily bypass bbs. Crushed flake, chrushed pellet, zieglers, otihime. Thety all work quite well you just have to ween them off the rots once they start eating the dry food your good to go. Personally i use the bbs its not that hard to culture and there inexspensive. Rots five gallon bucket like anthony said there really easy and require very little work. In between hatches when im not harvesting rots daily i just let them brew, i only add 1 ml of paste a day thats it. If i see numbers rapidly decreasing i will move them to a new bucket with new water and they take off again.
chuggy

Return to Nutrition