Larval Food: Microworms

Larval Food: Microworms

Postby bigalulrich » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Anybody use Microworms as a fry food? I know they are popular in freshwater use. Seems like total length may be a bit much for young larvae, but wondering if the width (50 micron, I think I read) might make them easier to eat than bbs?

Just curious to hear if anyone has tried and what their experience may have been. They're very easy to culture.
bigalulrich

Re: Larval Food: Microworms

Postby BaboonScience » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:26 pm

Microworms have been discussed in several threads that I remember:
viewtopic.php?f=166&t=1479&p=13046&hilit=microworms#p13046
viewtopic.php?p=20176#p20176
viewtopic.php?p=36204#p36204
Hope that this helps a little!
John
"The exact contrary of what is generally believed is often the truth" Jean De La Bruyère (1645-1696)
BaboonScience

Postby bigalulrich » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am

Thank you for the links--probably should have done my own search before posting--thanks for posting the links :)

So from the looks of it, sounds like they have been used a little, but are perceived to be nutritionally inferior for saltwater fish. I may try working them in and see if I notice any real differences.

Seems like perhaps they are a suitable alternative for banggai cardinalfish, considering the issues with feeding NHBS and BBS
bigalulrich

Postby KMB » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:09 pm

Sorry if I missed something, but what are the issues with feeding NHBS and BBS?

Karen
KMB

Postby bigalulrich » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:00 am

KMB wrote:Sorry if I missed something, but what are the issues with feeding NHBS and BBS?

Karen

So, I'm no expert. Still a noob at breeding, but I've seen fish freak out and die (shock syndrome) that is supposedly tied to brine shrimp. It's also noted in Witt's book. Was just wondering if perhaps working some microworms into the feeding would 'mix things up enough' to help reduce losses from shock
bigalulrich

Postby KMB » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:11 am

Thanks for the info. I was curious because I use BBS and don't have any problems but I do enrich them before using them.

When you say microworms are you referring to something like vinegar worms?

Karen
KMB

Postby Luis A M » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 pm

No,he is meaning Anguillula silusae,old and popular in FW,before the bbs.They are raised on cereal.They don´t swim much and it is not likely that marine larvae would catch them :?
Vinegar "eels"do swim,provided they resist SW some time.
I have often swimming nematodes contaminating pod cultures,but am not sure marine larvae would catch a worm?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 pm

Luis A M wrote:No,he is meaning Anguillula silusae,old and popular in FW,before the bbs.

Now called something rediviva :?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby till » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:24 pm

i did experiment a little with Microworms (Panagrellus redivivus) and vinegar eels. while microworms were able to survive in saltwater for more than 12 hours, vinegar eels didnt make it that long. But they did survive for a few hours as well. Even as the micorworms dont swim that much they do not sink to the bottom too fast so they be available to the larvae for some time.

Newly hatched larvae of Chrysiptera parasema were able to catch both types of worms but where not able to digest them as the worms kept living in the larvae's stomach :shock:

Also i tried microworms for peppermint shrimp larvae. they ere eaten but didnt seem to improve the survival rates in comparsion to artemia alone. of course these were no scientific experiments... ;)
till

Postby chaz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:53 am

Hi,
As Till said microworms do live for quite some time in salt water, and they remain in suspension for quite some time.
I feed my clowns with microworms from around 6 days onwards and Banghiis immediatly

Microworm are a livebearing nematode worm, hence a very usefull variety of sizes

Rotifers and FHBS

Enhanced 24 Hour old BS

A rather foggy pic of rotifers, FHBS, enhanced 24 hour BS and micro worms. Please note you cannot see the very small microworms.

I have no idea of the nutritional value of microworm, but the larvae and fish take them readily.

Chaz.
chaz

Postby bigalulrich » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 am

Chaz,

You mention that the larvae take them readily. Sounds like you use use them in conjunction with Rotifers and BS. Do you think it helps add to your success?
bigalulrich

Postby chaz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:20 am

Hi,
I do think it helps with the fish taking a varity of foods, they dont get hooked on any one food item. I still feed microworms after I have stopped feeding 24 hour BS at around 18 days with the common clowns.

Chaz.
chaz

Postby DrHsu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:39 pm

I have seen a number of papers referring to the use of microworms in saltwater aquaculture. IIRC they mostly dealt with using microworms in prawn culture and the results were nothing too spectacular compared to traditional methods. They did, however, mention ways of enrichment and did have some nutritional analysis I think. Should be easy to google them as that's how I found them - google for the scientific name and aquaculture. They're probably somewhere in my old hard disk.....just too lazy to find them now....
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Postby Luis A M » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:13 pm

I had the idea once,that MW could be raised in SW salinity medium suplemented with HUFA,but that seems not possible.
I once bought (yes had to pay for) a method for mass producing them in plastic bags. :roll:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby DrHsu » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:34 pm

Luis A M wrote:I had the idea once,that MW could be raised in SW salinity medium suplemented with HUFA,but that seems not possible.
I once bought (yes had to pay for) a method for mass producing them in plastic bags. :roll:

Luis... they can! I have tried it, and I think one of the papers talks about it. I just lost interest in them after a while - didn't think my priolepis larvae ate any; but now looking at Chaz's post I think I may have to try again! :D
Li Chieh

Otherwise known as marinebetta in most marine forums.....

"It's what you learn after you think you know it all..that matters" - Anon
DrHsu

Return to Nutrition