True Perc Broodstock Female Stressed

True Perc Broodstock Female Stressed

Postby Hellaenergy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:36 pm

I received a breeding pair of True Percula's on Friday. Since then the female has not eaten and is breathing at a rate of about two to three breaths per second. She also seems to be hanging at the bottom of the tank leaning on the wall. She's does move around periodically but she doesn't seem happy. I'm worried about her. The male seems okay. He swims around normally and has started eating pellets as of yesterday.

I noticed yesterday (day 3) is both the fish have very fine white spots that I can only notice on the black portions of their bodies. They seem smaller than what I know ich to look like. But, I'm guessing that it is in fact probably ich. I suspect that in addition to the move this could be contributing to the fishes stress.

When the fish were introduced into the tank the water parameters were:

PH ~8.0
SG: 1.023
Temp: 82 (now 78)
NH3: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: ~0

In the tank I'm running a HOB filter with a mature sponge and carbon, a brand new sponge filter and an air stone.

Over the last day or so I've gradually lowered the temperature from 82 to 78. I'm looking for suggestions as to the next course of action I should take. Your guidance is appreciated.
Hellaenergy

State/Region: unknown

Re: True Perc Broodstock Female Stressed

Postby Hellaenergy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 pm

I forgot to mention that I did a 50% water change on day three as well.
Hellaenergy

Postby Hellaenergy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Here's are couple pictures of her current condition:

Hellaenergy

Postby Hellaenergy » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:02 am

Update: I performed a freshwater dip on them both. The ich came off with the quickness. I will be administering formalin at two drops per gallon for the coming days.
Hellaenergy

Postby Hellaenergy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:40 pm

It looks like she is stabilizing. She's much calmer and is swimming around. She even nibbled at some food yesterday. The male continues to be in what seams to be a healthy comfortable state. I will be closely monitoring them for some time to come.

Live and Learn.
Hellaenergy

Postby FishNFrags » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Humm seems I have a Male basically doing same thing as your female did. Same situation as you had. just got the pair 1 week ago. I see no ich or spots, but he is just laying around and seem to be getting worst. Suggestions?
FishNFrags

State/Region: Tenn

Postby FishNFrags » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:58 am

Humm I'm leaning toward Velvet with my male. Only thing that is confusing me a bit is I haven't seen any rubbing or icthing if you know what I mean. Anyone ever had a fish with velvet that did not show signs of itching ? Already did fresh water dip on him. (3 mins) Not really seeing any signs of any spots or velvet apprearance on ends of fins or body. :?
FishNFrags

State/Region: Tenn

Return to Disease