Picasso clown with pink area on side - Help, please!

Picasso clown with pink area on side - Help, please!

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:54 pm

One of my picassos suddenly developed this fuzzy, furry, raised, pinkish-purplish area on her side. I think she may have abraded herself going through the hole in the bottom of her flowerpot (hole did have some sharp edges, which I've since sanded down). Water parameters are good: SG of 1.025, pH of 8.15, Temp of 74F, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate. Eating, breathing, and otherwise behaving normally. I did notice a yellowish stringy poop this morning, but it didn't persist for long. The other picasso in the tank is fine. What is this, and what, if anything, should I do about it? Here's a picture:

Paula Owiee.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JimWelsh on Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Please look and help!

Postby JimWelsh » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:39 pm

OK, she's got another stringy poop that won't go away this time, and the injury on the side is more raised than before, and is becoming more prounounced in three small spots more or less in the center of the pinkish area shown in the photo. Sombody PLEASE HELP! I'm not very experienced with sick fish (been keeping SW fish 3+ years, and really have had no fish maladies to speak of, knock on wood).
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Re: Picasso clown with pink area on side - Help, please!

Postby FuEl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:44 am

I would suggest some anti-bacterial medication.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:14 am

OK, thanks. Any chance you could be more specific? Perhaps name one? Not trying to be difficult, just the answer is a bit too vague to be really helpful. :)
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby FuEl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:18 am

Try Maracyn or Melafix. Most pathogenic bacteria are gram negative so any broad spectrum antibiotic or broad spectrum anti-bacterial medication should do the trick.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby JimWelsh » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks, Fuel. I'll call the vet in the morning and make arrangements. A few more questions:

1) Is it OK to dose them in the broodstock tank (there's an anemone in the tank with them, but they are separated with a porus tank divider right now)?

2) Will these kill the bacteria in my biological filter?

3) If anwers to 1 and 2 are No and Yes, respectively, then I guess I should move the sick fish to a separate container for dosing, yes? Should I treat only the affected fish, or both of them?

TIA,

Jim
JimWelsh
Read-Only

Postby FuEl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:16 am

I would treat only the affected fish. Do not treat the broodstock tank. While your filtration bacteria might cope with the treatment I am unsure how anemones will react. If the anemones die, the whole tank is nuked.
I love Artemac!
FuEl

Postby midjim » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 am

What was the outcome, as I have the same sort of problem.
midjim

Return to Disease