Does anyone know what disease this may be?

Does anyone know what disease this may be?

Postby swamp.tide » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:53 pm

It's a royal dottyback.

Does someone know how to treat it?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
swamp.tide

Re: Does anyone know what disease this may be?

Postby Luis A M » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 pm

Not a clue :? Is the fish acting/breathing normally?
Perhaps some form of HLLD?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby swamp.tide » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:52 pm

Luis,

The fish breathes normally, but it's not eating... It's starting to act funny as well, such as almost stumbling upon the glass walls.

It used to stay hidden in its pipe taking care of the eggs non-stop; but today he stayed all day out of the pipe and at night refused to sleep in it.

I don't know if it's bacterial, fungal or viral, but it's not looking good.
swamp.tide

Postby Scottt » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:24 am

I do not know either. I think I'd remove him to a QT and try Mardel Maracyn. Sometimes the new environment, along with some antibiotics fix issues like this.

I was told at a fish health symposium that there aren't any fungal marine diseases (except maybe mycobaterium?), so you shouldn't have to worry about fungus. If it is viral, just good food and water quality is the only thing you can do that I know of.
Scottt

Postby Luis A M » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:13 pm

Scottt wrote:I was told at a fish health symposium that there aren't any fungal marine diseases (except maybe mycobaterium?), so you shouldn't have to worry about fungus. If it is viral, just good food and water quality is the only thing you can do that I know of.

There are some internal fungal diseases,but very few and hard to diagnosis.But yes,external fungus of skin and eggs is mostly a FW issue.Same as the use of meth.blue in SW? :?
Mycobacteria are not fungi,not real bacteria either...
Luis
Luis A M

Postby swamp.tide » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:29 pm

I have access to this:

http://www.apifishcare.com/Products/Pro ... oductID=56

Maybe it'll help?

Thanks
swamp.tide

Postby EasterEggs » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 pm

Melafix and Pimafix from my understanding are just herbal "heal all" potions. I don't think they are very useful. I would be treating with antibiotics as it does look like some sort of bacterial infection to me. My preferred antibiotics is API Furan 2 which is broad spectrum gram-positive and gram-negative antibiotics that don't affect nitrifying bacteria either.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby swamp.tide » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:16 pm

Umm that sounds good, by don't have access to it; I have some streptomycin (also a broad-spectrum antibiotic). But I don't know the appropriate dosage.

I've already added MelaFix... bad idea, maybe?

I have removed the male and put it in a hospital tank.
swamp.tide

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:38 pm

What country are you in? If you are in the USA you should be able to order medications to arrive fairly quickly. Furan 2 is something I always keep on hand. I also keep Chloroquine phosphate and Formalin for Ich, MV, and Brook. Those 3 meds will treat pretty much anything.

I would suggest a small hospital tank (like a 10-gallon) because it will be cheaper to medicate a smaller volume of water. A small Dottyback doesn't need much space anyway.
EasterEggs

Postby swamp.tide » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:32 am

He's already in a hospital tank, still on the MelaFix for the third day...

I am in Brazil... We don't have the best products here :(
swamp.tide

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure how you could find medications. Hopefully the Melafix will help. Otherwise, the Streptomycin is not broad spectrum, it only affects gram-negative bacteria. However, this is good because most bacterial diseases that affect marine fish are gram-negative. I can't find reference to dosing information anywhere online though. As far as I know, Streptomycin is more often used for cats, dogs, and farm animals.

Take a look here, and see if you can find any of these antibiotics: http://www.aquariumlife.net/articles/aq ... rk/104.asp Make sure you double check that the antibiotic can be used for marine fish as I know there are some that are not effective in high pH.
EasterEggs

Postby Luis A M » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:25 pm

PRIMA NON NOCERE (first don´t harm) says a very old latin proverb taught to every medical student.First comes diagnosis,then treatment.We can not treat something which we don´t know what it is...
Luis
Luis A M

Postby swamp.tide » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:32 pm

The fish is slowly recovering in a hospital tank with MelaFix; but still doesn't eat well. If it survives, I hope the bond between the pair isn't severed.
swamp.tide

Return to Disease