Would you freshwater dip a new fish ?

Would you freshwater dip a new fish ?

Postby midjim » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:08 pm

I am getting a new picasso in a few days and i have had more than my fare share of diseases over the last few years. I would like to know if would be alright to fresh dip a new fish straight out of the bag before putting it in quarantine, or would this stress it to much. Also i have fresh dipped heaps of clowns, but can you dip other fish like tangs and copper band butterfly ect,. Picassos cost a lot of money and are not easy to find in Australia, and I have still not seen a A grade one yet so I don't want to mess this up thanks Mark.
midjim

Re: Would you freshwater dip a new fish ?

Postby altolamprologus » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:52 pm

I've never liked freshwater dips. In my opinion, it causes way too much undue stress. Just quarantine it and watch for signs of disease then treat accordingly if necessary.
altolamprologus

Postby jeff@zina.com » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:34 pm

Quarantine only for me. No treatments unless I see something.

Jeff

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
jeff@zina.com

Postby EasterEggs » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 pm

My fish all get a week long PraziPro treatment while in quarantine. That's the only prophylactic treatment I do. It is not harsh, although they will often have a lowered appetite or even completely off food for the treatment time so I make sure the fish are fat and eating well before treatment. Praziquantel gets rid of pretty much the same things as a freshwater dip does except Prazi also does internal worms when treated for a week. Quarantine is 8 weeks for any fish from the LFS, and 4 weeks for adult fish from another breeder/hobbyist.
Last edited by EasterEggs on Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Given sufficient thrust, pigs will fly just fine.
EasterEggs

Postby Ben » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:17 am

Good quarantine 6 weeks min is what i do
No dips unless needed
Ben

Postby Luis A M » Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Mindy,could you describe how you use Prazi?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:16 pm

Sure Luis. First, I have the fish in quarantine for 1-2 weeks to have it adjusted, relaxed, eating well, and fattened up. One of my quarantine tanks has a bunch of live rock rubble in it, the other is bare bottom. Depending on the type of fish I will choose which tank is best for them. If the fish is underweight I will delay the PraziPro treatment until the fish is a good weight. I add PraziPro as per label instructions 1 tsp per 20 gallons. I offer food as normal, but I am not surprised or worried if the fish go off food during the treatment. Some do, some don't. After 7 days I do a 50% waterchange and add carbon to remove the medication. Fish that have gone off food will usually start eating the next day, but sometimes take 2 days. PraziPro is "reef-safe" and is compatible with ClorAm-X if needed (like in my barebottom QT).
EasterEggs

Postby midjim » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:21 am

Thanks for the replys, i will just put the fish straight into the quarantine tank. Luis I don't know if we can get prazipro here in Aus but I will have a look around. I have had so much trouble with diseases before that i want to be extra careful with a new fish. I am going to pair this fish up with a platinum perc, and they are going in a breeding rack so i don't want any mistakes. I have had the platinum in quarantine for 12 weeks now thanks agian Mark.
midjim

Postby Luis A M » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Thks Mindy 8)
The product isn´t available in Argentina too.Look at some vet product with the same drug,praziquantel?.
Disease in new fish has become much less incident that it was years before,when Cryptocarion and Amyloodinum were very common.Perhaps now exporters and wholesalers take more care and perform prophilactic treatments.I´d say that the most common disease one sees nowadays is some Brook in wild clowns.Of course that depends of your source of fish.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby EasterEggs » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Marine Velvet is pretty common in large Angelfish too. I'm not sure the dosing if using "raw" Praziquantel as I've never had to use it that way. Praziquantel is a dog/cattle wormer so it can often be purchased at veterinary clinics.
EasterEggs

Postby Scottt » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:52 pm

Maybe do the FW dip on the clowns way to the Broodstock Rack. It is supposed to be a very effective parasite remover.
Scottt

Postby midjim » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:32 pm

Thats what i have been doing Scott. I have been worming them a few days before and then dipping them before they go in the rack. The picasso never turned up in my local shops order but he says early next week. I have three pairs to make and it is all depending on this fish to see what I put with what. Thanks for the replies, i can't wait for this fish my wife thinks i am crazy.
midjim

Return to Disease