Post pics of your breeding room!

Post pics of your breeding room!

Postby Jhawkor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:22 am

Hey guys, I'm in the planning stages of setting up my own dedicated breeding room. I just want to see how everyone has theirs set up to give me some ideas. Thanks!
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Re: Post pics of your breeding room!

Postby Jhawkor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:40 pm

C'mon guys 30 views and no pics? I'll post some pics of the space I have to work with later tonight. :D
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby Kmiec123 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:14 pm

ok....I'll bite. :D Sorry I missed this, but i'm sure you can find some build threads if you search for them. ;)
This is how I started.

This is my newer system:
Kmiec123

Postby Jhawkor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Nice, looks good.
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby PaulG » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:53 am

This is a conversion of half of a double garage, I can still park 1 car int eh garage too.... when the other half is clean & everything is put away lol

This is teh entrance to the fishroom (obviously)

Right hand side (this shot it taken standing at teh opposite end of the room)
The broodstock tanks are on teh left & larval/growout on teh right. Broodstock is completly seperate from teh larval/go system. The large tank on the groupnd towards the top of the pic is the sump for the larval system.

Left hand side (this shot it taken standing at teh opposite end of the room)
The left of the image is more larval/growout space, the right is for future expansion ;) ;)

Why the blacked out bits? Secret Squirell

I still have some room for expansion & I can also 'condense' the racks as I can easily fit a third shelf if I reduce the space between teh BRT's & the shelf above them.

Its all currently working really nicely & I'de be much happier if I could get someone to install teh AC unit for a reasonable price (tomorrow is supposed to be 43'c :shock: )

I wish Anthony Calfo's fishroom build thread existed before I did this though as I would of done a number of things differently!
Last edited by PaulG on Sun May 16, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: changed image url
PaulG

Postby Jhawkor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Very nice Paul. I like the larvae/growout area.
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby robvdv » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:14 pm

Here's the fish/invert breeding room attached to my coral greenhouse (all very much under still construction):

robvdv

Postby Scottt » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:26 pm

Sweet structure rob. Is it some sort of canvas? The hanging shelves are a nice change from the normal 2x4 frame; they add a technical/professional look.
Scottt

Postby Jhawkor » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:30 pm

Scottt wrote:Sweet structure rob. Is it some sort of canvas? The hanging shelves are a nice change from the normal 2x4 frame; they add a technical/professional look.

Agreed.
-Landon-

75 gallon SPS dominant
Jhawkor

Postby Fishboy42 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:14 pm

I like the glass of wine on the construction site :)
Fishboy42

Postby Midnight Angel » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:33 pm

It's funny because that glass of wine is the first thing I noticed too..........not sure what that says about me. :)

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby robvdv » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:56 am

Thanks for the complements :)

The stuff against the walls is "alububble". http://www.alububble.co.za/about.htm. It's a polyethylene bubble wrap with a reflective aluminium side. It covers the steel frame and fibre cement cladding boards. I've also used it against the roof, but it seems less effective here. I think before winter I might need to supplement it with some additional, conventional insulation.

I like the glass of wine on the construction site :)

Crucial at the end of a long day ;)
robvdv

Postby Scottt » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:11 am

A good example of what not to do.
Always seal everything up super tight, then install the tanks.
Scottt

Postby JimWelsh » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:14 am

Midnight Angel wrote:It's funny because that glass of wine is the first thing I noticed too..........not sure what that says about me. :)

Amy

That's funny, I live and work in the heart of California Napa Valley wine country, and I did NOT notice it..... I wonder what that says about ME!?!? :) Perhaps it's too common a sight around here! :wink:
JimWelsh
Read-Only

State/Region: California

Postby Kmiec123 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:06 pm

JimWelsh wrote:That's funny, I live and work in the heart of California Napa Valley wine country, and I did NOT notice it..... I wonder what that says about ME!?!? :) Perhaps it's too common a sight around here! :wink:

Or the obsession just is not there. :D
Kmiec123

Postby hawklover » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm

Here is my breeding room, it is a work in progress!

This is my workbench/storage area and my quarentine system.

This is my quarentine system, my freshwater topoff bucket, and my saltwater mixing/aging barrel.

I just started the tank racks a few days ago. It needs to be reinforced, and then I am going to build a sump under it. I am going to use .75 marine grade plywook and pondliner to build as large a sump as I can fit under the rack. The rack will hold two 55g barrels, two 29g tank, and two 20g long tanks. I am going to build a small rack that will go to the left side that will hold two 20g high tanks, and 2 10g tanks. On the wall to the right of that I am going to build a rack that holds 6 BRTs, with another plywood and pondliner sump under it. To the left will be three 55 gallon tanks for growout. And that is the plan!!! I am hoping to complete the Broodstock system next month, the larval system the month after, and the growout after that. My live food system is going to go in another room, unless I can somehow fit it in the room with the rest. :D
Ben (P.S. I really, really, really want to be the first person to succsesfully breed hawkfish)
Broodstock: Flame Hawks, Engineer Gobies, Ocellaris Clowns, Bangaii Cardinals, FireFish Magnifica, Azure Damsels, more to come with time!
hawklover

Postby aquagrrl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:21 pm

I took some shots of my fish room a few months ago and just got around to pulling the pictures off of my camera. It's still very much a work in progress.

Newest rack, still isn't plumbed:
I'm hoping to finish plumbing it this weekend. Just a few more pieces of pvc to cut then glue everything.

Misc table. I've wanted to remove it and build a culture rack for this space for ages, but I keep using it:

Algae on the other side of the room to lessen the chance of rotifers getting in:

Fish room protector:

I hope to do a lot of changes this summer, including building a broodstock rack (right now, broodstock is in display tanks), and a table for Black Round Tubs.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby Midnight Angel » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Nice room. And I love tabby cats 8) 8) 8) 8)

Amy
Midnight Angel

Postby jolson » Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:33 pm

aquagrrl can you give some info about tank and sump size so I can get a better idea of what you have, looks nice
jolson

Postby captain » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:27 am

Hi Everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now gathering info etc. I thought I would share some pics of my growout system etc. I have had some good success with Ocellaris since October 2009 (I currently have around 1000 fish ready or nearly ready for sale), and I am now looking into breeding some Latz, black occys and peppermint shrimp. I have 2 pair ocellaris (spawning every 12-14 days since Oct 2009, 1 pair Black ocellaris-yet to spawn, 2 pair Latz (yet to spawn and around 25 peppermint shrimp. I have been culturing my own nanno and rotifers from the beginning (with some issues of course). So far it's been a rewarding experince, so I'm looking forward to some of the challenges ahead with the other species.

Anyway enjoy!!
Growout system:

Closeup of my first clutch:

and finally a shot of 1 pair Occys and 1 pair Latz:

Cheers
Captain
captain

Postby jolson » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:01 am

nice setup caption I like the drains in the back it makes for a really clear view of your fish, has it caused any problems. I see you have a bottom drain system hows that work for you, did you drill those yourself or did they come that way.
jolson

Postby captain » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:23 pm

jolson wrote:nice setup caption I like the drains in the back it makes for a really clear view of your fish, has it caused any problems. I see you have a bottom drain system hows that work for you, did you drill those yourself or did they come that way.

Thanks. I designed and drilled myself. The drain system works pretty good I originally just had the tee, but soon had to add a riser to each drain due to overflow issues. The drain all leads to a split where approx 40% goes to skimmer, the rest to filter sock. The only drawback with the drain in the base at the back is when cleaning. I generally scrape down the glass and let the detritus settle, then siphon but due to the small tank (600x300x300), the plumbing is a little hard to work around, but it's only a small problem. The advantage is that I can start my larvae in the tank, a slowly bring the water volume up before joining onto the system.

cheers
Captain
captain

Postby aquagrrl » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:17 pm

jolson wrote:aquagrrl can you give some info about tank and sump size so I can get a better idea of what you have, looks nice

The top tanks are drilled 10 gallon tanks. they're drilled in the center which I'm not happy about but I got a really good deal on them. The bottom tank is a 40 breeder. There is enough room to the left of it that I can build an identical rack when I need to. There is a table there now, but it really holds miscellaneous crap. and can be moved.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby fishtal » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Sorry, I missed this thread too. Here are some pics of my room:

This has been altered a bit:

To accommodate the new seahorse tank:

Save a Reef... Frag Your Own!
Save a Fish... Breed Your Own!
www.fishtalpropagations.com
fishtal

Postby Jhawkor » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:54 pm