My new cube aquariums (Another reason I love my Prius:)

Postby KathyL » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks Cathi, glad the sponge filter is working for you. It seems to do well for a lot of folks. Just makes sense to control ammonia. It's one of those simple things that just never occurs to us. I would not have thought of it myself except that, seredipitously, a sponge filter happened to be sitting next to my rotifer bucket.

Anyway, I have another set of cube tanks that needs to be used as such, and I need to get it off the back patio before it gets really cold. I'll have to start working on that one right away. Not sure where it will go, but it will have to go over something else, and I am going to use it the way it was designed, rather than scraping paint and re-doing the plumbing.

Since 2x4 lumber allowed a bit of flex, perhaps 2x6 lumber will work better.
KathyL

PIX!

Postby KathyL » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Here's the cube tanks on their rack (over other tanks)

Here's the drain system and the 4 inch pipe with bioballs stuffed inside.
View of the sump. There are more bioballs floating in the water. A Quiet One 3000 provides all the flow I'll need,
KathyL

Postby Luis A M » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:52 pm

I found a very useful trick when having the multiple tanks built.The inner division walls must be 1/4" lower the the outer walls.Then when an outlet clogs,water spills into the adjacent tanks,and not in the floor! :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby KathyL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:18 am

That IS a great idea. I, on the other hand have had to adapt these used tanks to my purpose, and as you can see from the water line, there is not a lot of wiggle room from the top of the water line to the top of the tanks... I'll have to watch those overflows carefully. Fortunately, they are right up front.
KathyL

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:09 am

They look great, Kathy! Congratulations!
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:19 am

Andy, It's kind of you to say that.

Mine are only for utility, not to look pretty. One cannot help but to admire the work you are doing--functional and beautiful. :D
KathyL

Postby "Umm, fish?" » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:11 am

Oh, wait 'til I start setting up the sundry tanks for breeding. I'm certainly not a finish carpenter. I like to think I've learned a few things watching these guys, but we'll see how much they've rubbed off on me. :)

I have to tell you, when I do plumbing there's certainly a heck of a lot more purple stuff around (and not just on the plumbing) than what you've done there.
Andy

“Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.” --Mark Twain
"Umm, fish?"
Read-Only

Postby KathyL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:40 pm

I have a secret, and for $50,000 I'll tell you.

:D
Oh but you are so nice, ...., here's a clue: buy the clear stuff. :shock:
KathyL

Postby KathyL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:44 pm

If I were really good, I would have turned the printing on the pipe to the inside, where you can't see it.

Honestly, I did the glue up on the drain system twice. The first time I wasn't paying attention to the direction of the T's. After another trip to the hardware store to get connectors, and at least an hour trying to figure out how to fix the mess, I did get it right. (They slope to the left in the picture.)
KathyL

Postby aomont » Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:28 pm

Kathy, have you thought drilling the horizontal pipe instead of using T's for the drain ?
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Postby KathyL » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 pm

I tried that once, but there was a lot of salt creep from splashing, and I just didn't like it.

Have you tried it that way?
KathyL

Postby aomont » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 am

I´ve done this way and am still deciding if I can live with the salt creep or cut everything and put T's. :roll: I´ve put an elbow in the hose when it enters the pipe so water doesn´t hit so bad on it. It reduced salt creep a little but not that much... The problem seems to be the water that comes from the tanks upstream.

I had done it this way so the T's don´t stay in front of the tanks and bring difficulty in removing the tanks, but looking at yours now it doesn´t look bad. :?
Anderson.
Anderson

"Posso não saber de nada mas suspeito de muita coisa..."
aomont

Re: My new cube aquariums (Another reason I love my Prius:)

Postby PKAugusta » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:30 am

What were the dimensions of the tank. I am desperately wanting to get a tank from Atlanta. But I live 200 miles away. so want to know what the maximum can fit in my prius. mine is a 2008 one as yours.
PKAugusta

State/Region: Georgia

Previous

Return to Equipment