Larval snaggers

Larval snaggers

Postby KathyL » Sun May 11, 2008 11:50 am

KathyL

Larval Snagger

Postby lance » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:07 am

How exactly does a larval snagger work in simple terms for a newer breeder just learning?
lance

Postby KathyL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:26 am

Eggs of many species hatch after dark. Larvae are attracted to light. Most of these snaggers have a small light over the opening to the snagger. The gentle current of a small pump or air lift draws them into the snagger, and prevents their escape. Really very simple.
KathyL

Re: Larval Snagger

Postby PaulG » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 am

lance wrote:How exactly does a larval snagger work in simple terms for a newer breeder just learning?

Lance,

Next time I have my snagger out I'll take some snaps of it in operation, should be Tomorrow night or the night after.
PaulG

thanks guys

Postby lance » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:11 pm

thanks guys,

Does anybody build these or any company sale these?

if so please let me know so i can purchase one or if some one could give me a good link on building one too that would help.

Thanks again,

Lance
lance

Postby KathyL » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:34 pm

Please read the first post in this thread. :D
KathyL

wow

Postby lance » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:25 am

there are so many different setups how do you know which one is the right one? the tank is a 20 gallon High that i need it for I think the eggs are due to hatch soon and I need to buy a larval snagger that is already made like the one from that company which is in who know's its all in a different language.

help.
lance

Postby PaulG » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:59 am

I got this design from April Kirkendols' book How to Raise & Train your Peppermint Shrimp.

My dismantled snagger.
Nothing flash, just a few bits of PVC plumbing & a 600ml drink bottle with a piece of 125um mesh siliconed to it.

The unit assembled, just press fitted together (with the exception of the H shaped bit & the U shaped bit which I did glue but this did not have o be done.

In the Tank!
There is an air pump connected to the left hand side to provide the 'air lift'. I also have a light which I stick to the glass but I didn't have it in place, I'll take anothe pic when I put that in place.

I used to turn everything except the heater off for a few hours & then turn everything back on but lately my shrimps have been late hatchers so I now leave everything off (except for the heater) & turn everything back on when I get up in the morning (sometimes earlier if I'm awake & the larvae are in the snagger).

I wouldn't bother with the off the shelf snaggers as this does quite well for something that cost be less than $10 to make.

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Postby KathyL » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 pm

Sorry to be so dense, but I don't see how this works.
KathyL

Postby Mr_Matthew_L » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 am

The larvae are attracted to the light which is placed just under the opening on the left side of the snagger. (Look at the pic with the snagger in the tank.)

The air pump pushes air into the same opening which causes a light current of water to follow the air.

This air/water moves up into the opening at the top of the tee.

The air escapes through the opening and the water continues through the pvc tubing because it isn't powerful enough to overflow. The constant flow of air makes the water flow through the tubes and not back down the way it came.

Once the water gets to the end of the tubing it is released into the gatorade bottle.

Once the water is in the gatorade bottle it escapes through the screen.

Any animal that went to the light was sucked into the air/water current and pushed through to the gatorade bottle, and isn't able to pass through the screen.

The current is soft enough to not harm the fry on their journey, but fast enough that they can't swim against the current to escape. In the morning you can pull the snagger out and not miss any sleep.

Hope this helps,

Matthew
Mr_Matthew_L

Postby KathyL » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:48 am

Thanks Matthew,
I get it now, but why do the pipes need to go over, down, over more and then up into the bottle. Why not just direct the larvae into the bottle?
KathyL

Postby KathyL » Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:50 am

I've been having trouble getting the light right. What light do you use, and how do you stick it to the glass?

Thanks,
Kathy

:D
KathyL

Postby PaulG » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:48 pm

I find duct tape is more than adequate for teh purpose.

And just to clarify, teh light is stuck on the outside of the tank like so...

The light is actually a LED Booklight, with the other end clipped to the tank hood.

The image above actually has a small hatch of pepp shrimp from last night.

HTH
PaulG
PaulG

Re: Larval snaggers

Postby aquagrrl » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:04 pm

My snagger made from a specimen container. Light not pictured but its a submersible LED made for bettas with fiberoptics that run down the intake tube to the bottom.

- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby Paddy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Hey Paul,

A is your setup, would there be any problems with B? Just think it would shorten time to the chamber. In your pic there is no air pump setup is there?

Paddy

Postby Chad Vossen » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:52 pm

i've been working on another batch of traps, and this batch will have a few changes made. one clear change is the screen. also planning to use magnets to hold the trap in place, and suction cups for the LED flashlight. couple of those changes are still in the experimental stage, but i hope to have a post in the classifieds in 2-3 weeks.

Chad Vossen

Postby PaulG » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 am

Paddy wrote:Hey Paul,

A is your setup, would there be any problems with B? Just think it would shorten time to the chamber. In your pic there is no air pump setup is there?

[ http://i39.tinypic.com/aviuq0.jpg ]

Hi Paddy,

Wouldn't be any problems with B, you just need to whatch teh waterline.

Yes there is an air pump, the air pump is connected to the left most pipe
PaulG

Postby jadeguppy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:54 am

Aquagirl, that looks very handy. Easy to hang and easy to lift out. How has it been working for you? Do you have a mesh screen on it?
jadeguppy

Postby aquagrrl » Sat May 15, 2010 12:26 pm

I had moderate success with it. I believe the biggest problem was the god damn bangaii cardinal that figured out hanging out under the light beam at night meant tasty treats. I only caught a handful of pipefish lavae at any given time but I'd catch a few dozen clownfish larvae. I was planning on making a cardinal guard that would protect the column of light, but I just lost the male pipefish recently so haven't bothered. I suspect that was the only problem because at night I could watch the cardinal swimming in and out of the light column eating things. Bastard fish. :(

The mesh on it was 250 micron mesh. I'd need to clean it off with a tooth brush after every use to keep it from getting clogged, but it otherwise seemed to work well. In addition to clownfish larvae and pipefish larvae, I'd frequently find what I think was hermit crab larvae in there.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Return to Equipment