Water Dechlorination Ratio

Water Dechlorination Ratio

Postby Morgman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:19 am

Any of you fellow MOFIBs have the ratio of Sodium Thiosulfate needed to neutralize .25 cups chlorine(bleach) per 1 gallon water for sterilizing equipment etc? I have been working on the formula and my chemistry is pretty weak these days and it is kind of late.

.25C bleach per 1 gallon fresh water

thanks,

Morgan
:roll: :roll: :oops:
Last edited by Amie on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed subject from 'Declor ratio' to 'Water Dechlorination Ratio'
Morgman

Postby KathyL » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:25 am

Dissolve 6 g in 100 ml, or 60 grams in a liter of good freshwater.

Then use an equal volume to the volume of bleach (which is 5.5% chlorine) you used. (in your case 1/4 cup)

Always test for chlorine after dechlorinating. Jungle test strips are fast and easy(Petco and Petsmart have them).

If your bottle of dissolved sodium thiosulfate smells like sulfur, throw it out and make up some fresh.
KathyL

Postby Morgman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 12:28 pm

Thanks Kathy. :D
Morgman

Postby mpedersen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:31 pm

I've been doing something less mathematical perhaps - 1 drop Generic Bleach is nuetralized by 1 drop of Novaqua plus ;)

Matt
mpedersen
Read-Only

Postby Morgman » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:43 pm

I bought a 20 pound bucket of sodium thiosulfate a few months back and have been just throwing in little handfuls into the washer when I dechlor filter bags. I assume I have been over dosing the dechlor but figured who cares, since it gets washed out of the filter bags.

I just wanted to try and make a solution similar to Amquel for assorted uses.
Morgman

Postby KMB » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:51 pm

I use 25% thio of the amount of clorox bleach that I used..... So if I use 100ml clorox I would neutalize with 25 grams thio crystals (dissolved in a little fresh water).

Karen
KMB

Postby KathyL » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:26 pm

I think that's about 4 times what you need. Chlorox is 5.5%. Using an equal volume of 6 % thio chrystals will dechlorinate with a little wiggle room for poor measurement.

So for 100 ml bleach you would need 6 grams dry chrystals.
KathyL

Postby KMB » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:14 pm

Thanks Kathy,

That will save me alot in thio. Add to that the savngs in salt that I've also learned from this web site. I'll be filthy rich soon!

Karen :lol:
KMB

Postby flyfisher » Mon May 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Where do people buy their sodium thio sulfate? Tim
flyfisher

Postby KathyL » Mon May 05, 2008 10:58 pm

Florida Aqua Farms is cheaper, even with shipping, than Sigma Chemical in my home town.
KathyL

Re:

Postby Pedro_Mann » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:15 pm

KMB wrote:Thanks Kathy,

That will save me alot in thio. Add to that the savngs in salt that I've also learned from this web site. I'll be filthy rich soon!

Karen :lol:

How are you saving on salt? Are you just using a lower salinity? Or making salt mix yoursef? Is there another thread you can point me to?
Pedro_Mann

Postby KMB » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:36 pm

Pedro,

I'm sorry I had missed this and now it's four months later! Sadly I don't get on MOFIB as much as I used to.

To answer your question, at that time I was making salt. I tried a recipe from this site and one from a Sea Grant extension agent in Hilo, Hawaii. I have since switched due to lack of time or perhaps laziness and now use 2/3 Instant Ocean with 1/3 Morton Solar Salt. The savings are not as great but it's much easier. I do also go with a slightly lower salinity of 32 ppt. Most of my friends go with 30ppt for their clowns but I have other species of fish as well and feel safer with 32ppt.

Karen
KMB

Re: Dechlor ratios

Postby Scottt » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:55 pm

For the record, I did the calculations, KathyL is spot-on. I use this method to sterilize my phyto culture water. Do you guys do that? or something else?
Scottt

Postby TheChemist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:56 am

I do almost exactly as Kathy does, but I use more thiosulfate. I use 4 g Sodium thiosulfate and dissolve into 50 mL of RO/DI water. Extra thiosulfate doesn't hurt one bit. Store the solution in a fridge away from direct light.
Also I use old aquarium water from my water changes and sterilize it overnight. Phyto loves it. Tetra, Nano and Iso all grow well in it.
One more thing I dilute my tank water with fresh water straight from the faucet one fold. This gives me a salinity of about 1.015.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Postby Luis A M » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Interesting.I culture algae always in new ASW since I found that used (but not sterilized)water was the best way to obtain a ciliate culture! :lol:
But now that I use 4 L of phyto (2L ASW)/day,I could try sterilized used water.
Do you still fertilize at f/2 strenght,no matter the NO3 and PO4 in used water?
Luis
Luis A M

Postby TheChemist » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes I use F/2 fertilization concentration. I use virtually all waste fish tank water and I had no cilliates or any other problems at all so far. I guess the most important thing is to sterilize the water and the rigid air tubing well, before using it. 1ml of bleach per 1 L of diluted SW will do the trick if its left in a closed bottle for at least 12 h (over night). I then assemble the airline and start the bubbles, then add thiosulfate (1 mL of 4 g/50mL), wait a few minutes and then fertilize.

Hope this helps. And BTW Nano will grow to full strength in 4-5 days if inoculated with only about 50 ml of culture. I do 5L bottles for my cultures.
Andy

Onyx A. percula, A. ocelaris. P. kauderni, L. wurdemani, L. amboinensis, black ocelaris, E. oceanops, grama loreto, P. aldabraensis
TheChemist

Postby Scottt » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Its probably unimportant, but I read somewhere that extra sodium thiosulfate reduced trace metal availability. Maybe only if you use wayyy too much?
Scottt

Postby spawner » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:13 pm

Extra Thio is a problem. you have to be very careful not to over dose. I always test our chlorine levels after dosing with thio. Too much Thio really hurts your microalgae cultures, kills rotifers as well.
spawner

Postby PaulG » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:42 pm

I may be going a little off topic here but bear with me.

Since I've had my first fish spawn, I'm having to get into the routine of steralizing my water for algae cultures & rots, What I was thinking of doing was sterlizing my NSW holding tank (1000L) with 2L of bleach (sodium hypochlorite?).
The water is used in my reef tank as well as broodstock tanks (shrimp/fish).

Going by the ratio that Kathy has provided, would this mean I would need 120g of Thio to neutralize the bleach or have I got my sums wrong?

Also is the amount of RO water used to mix the thio up in imprtant or do you use just enough to disolve the crystals?

TIA
PaulG
PaulG

Postby Scottt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:52 pm

You have it right, for 2L bleach, 120g thio is perfect. You may however be able to use half as much of everything. I'd like if someone else chimed in here, but I use an equivalent of 1L bleach for 264gallons. It seems to kill everything for me (with 12hrs of aeration). I read somewhere that it was enough to treat raw sewage.

you could just throw the thio crystals in the 1000L tub, and add aeration.. instead of pre-disolving.
Scottt

Postby PaulG » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:19 am

Thanks Scott

Thats what I would prefer to do, just dump the thio in teh tank with something to provide water movement.

Regards
PaulG
PaulG

Postby jolson » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:21 am

been reading this post and have a couple of questions still if I make up the solution kathy suggests 6g per L then equal parts of that mixture to bleach 1/4 cup bleach per gal then 1/4 cup of the mixture to neutrilize, do I have that right. also how are you measuring such small amouts, what kind of scale are you using
jolson

Postby LethargicCoder » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:03 am

jolson wrote:been reading this post and have a couple of questions still if I make up the solution kathy suggests 6g per L then equal parts of that mixture to bleach 1/4 cup bleach per gal then 1/4 cup of the mixture to neutrilize, do I have that right. also how are you measuring such small amouts, what kind of scale are you using

To make sure you have it right, it's 60 grams / L not 6 and yes when dissolved at this ratio you use an equal amount of thio solution to bleach. Probably only a tsp of each / gallon, not a 1/4 cup.

I picked up this kitchen scale at Wal Mart for 15 or 20 dollars if I remember correctly.

That's an SD memory card on it that weights about 3 grams by the way.

-Eric
LethargicCoder

Postby Luis A M » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:14 am

jolson wrote:been reading this post and have a couple of questions still if I make up the solution kathy suggests 6g per L then equal parts of that mixture to bleach 1/4 cup bleach per gal then 1/4 cup of the mixture to neutrilize, do I have that right. also how are you measuring such small amouts, what kind of scale are you using

Welcome Jolson,and yes,you need just 1ml of bleach to sterilize 1 gal.1/4 cup is overkilling.Technically no problem if you neutralize it with enough thio.
You can weigh 55g (or 60) of thio in any kitchen scale,and dissolve it in 1L of didtilled water.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby Luis A M » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:26 am

Scottt wrote:Its probably unimportant, but I read somewhere that extra sodium thiosulfate reduced trace metal availability. Maybe only if you use wayyy too much?

spawner wrote:Extra Thio is a problem. you have to be very careful not to over dose. I always test our chlorine levels after dosing with thio. Too much Thio really hurts your microalgae cultures, kills rotifers as well.

Since thio is a strong reducing agent,wouldn´t an excess pull the redox down? :?
Luis
Luis A M

Next

Return to Equipment