Freshwater hobbyist going saltwater

Freshwater hobbyist going saltwater

Postby abepantierer » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:40 am

Hi! I have 3 15 gallon tanks that I want to switch to saltwater for breeding. What equipment do I need to get started? I know a sump system is the way to go but I can't afford that right now.
abepantierer

State/Region: New York

Re: Freshwater hobbyist going saltwater

Postby Luis A M » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:30 pm

Yes a sump system is the way :wink: Which is not expensive,a sump,a pump and some valves and hoses.Main problem is drilling the tanks.
Other than that,you could use sponge filters. :?
Luis
Luis A M

Re: Freshwater hobbyist going saltwater

Postby Amie » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 am

I agree with Luis, a sump is not expensive, and reduces the work involved with the fish. You will have a healthier setup. The sump can be anything that will hold water, basically. You can use a large plastic storage container, it doesn't have to come from a fish store.

There are a lot of thing that you need, besides just the sump and a few tanks. You need water .. .salt water, that is. If you are going to mix your own, you should consider getting an RO system. You also need a hydrometer, to measure the salinity level of the water, a heater, an air pump with tubing and a sponge filter, a return pump, and lights to go over the tank. If you are planning to raise fish, you will need to a good source for live food, or learn how to raise the food yourself, which requires some additional equipment as well.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Return to Equipment