Anyone use K1 Media ?

Anyone use K1 Media ?

Postby twintrades » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:41 pm

I will be starting out with a 80 gallon system. 2 Tiers of 3 tanks (all 10's) And a 20 for a sump.
I have some BIOballs i soaked in bleach and Rinsed about 3 times then Used dechlorinator 2 times. And dryed outside.

Then i read about K1 media. SO i bought a gallon worth. If anyone has any experience with this media for Biofiltration please comment ! Im wondering if i should use the bioballs or if the K1 will be enuf to Filter the whole system.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
twintrades

State/Region: wisconsin

Re: Anyone use K1 Media ?

Postby twintrades » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Well i guess ill be the first then !
twintrades

Postby Amie » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:24 pm

I know quite a few people using this media on their systems - they do not use any other filtration. I have purchased it as well but have not set it up on my system yet.

Go to Youtube and search for k1 media, there are a lot of videos of it working on aquariums.
Amie

State/Region: Utah

Postby twintrades » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Im using it now lol

One gallon worth for a 80 gallon system.

I have 6 10 gallon tanks for breeding clowns hooked up to a 20 long sump. So 80 gallons give or take. Fully running ill have 12 fish in there. Giving that a fish weighs about 10 grams an inch ill have 210 g of fish.

So 210 g of fish

Feed 3% of body weight Is 6.3 grams of waist.

One liter of k1 supports 2.5 grams of waist. ( not all food will be considered waist right ?)

I have 3.78 Liters so i can process 9.45 grams per day.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Or
One cube of food is 3.125 Grams

i have 3.78 liters of K1

One liter of K1 =2.5 of waist filtration.

so i could prosses 9.25 G of waist with my gallon of k1.

So 3 cubes a day can be Processed.
Sound about right ?
twintrades

Postby twintrades » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:45 am

Wish i would have thought of this before! I might try running my K1 in a kreisel type container in my tank. I didnt think my sump thru lol. I needed to have another baffle in my sump. so mabey ill try this. It should tumble and knock stuff around pretty good...
twintrades

Postby Amie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:34 am

You could always add a 'drum' or some kind of bucket to the system that contains the k1, that goes from the refugium, then to the drum, and then up to the tanks.
Amie

Postby DanUnderwood » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:34 pm

I use the K1 media in all of our systems. I find it will handle a larger bioload than what is published. I usually take a 3 or 5 gal carboy and drill some small holes in the upper half and then pump water in through the top churning the media with the water draining out the side. Using a 5 gal carboy filled about 1/3 with K1 it handled 1/2 lb of frozen mysis per day with ammonia and nitrites at zero. I did have a large protein skimmer, a 5 micron cartridge filter and use probiotics on the system.

Dan
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Postby twintrades » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 am

The way i have it built and set up the sump sits on the floor.... Tanks drain to a fixed pipe work draing into the sump. No room to add anything in line. Im going to add a section of that plastic ( sewing) mesh to the drain side of the chamber and curve it in the shape of a c. That should take care of my issue. As of now i have a Maxijet moving water in my media section. with a Pvc "spacer" keeping the media from spilling over. lol not what i wanted but its working.....
twintrades

Postby Amie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:19 am

Dan...how large is your system?

twintrades .. I was thinking of doing the same thing in my sump that you are doing. My only concern is the mesh getting clogged.
Amie

Postby DanUnderwood » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I have many different systems. My fry tanks are 90 gallon round tubs most with a 20 long for a sump and a couple with 30 breeders for a sump. I can keep up to about 500 juvenile seahorses in it until about 3 inches or so. My seller tanks are 75's. My brood stock tanks are mostly 29's with 2 to 5 on a system. Each system is species specific.

Dan
Dan Underwood
Seahorse Source, Inc.
DanUnderwood

Return to Equipment