All in one

All in one

Postby Mandsbuchan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:46 am

Hi guys just found the forum a couple of days ago so have been trolling through all the posts and its brilliant. I am quite keen at trying to breed some clownfish. My major problem is that i dont have the space for a rack and sump ect i was wondering if it would be possible to make a boodstock tank out of a 40G breeder split into 3 sections 1 for filter media, thermometor, pumps, skimmer etc and the other 2 with a pair of percs in each of them.

If this is possible what would be the best filter media, LR, Balls also would it be best to put the sump section in the middle and have weirs pumps to both sides or do it at one of the sides.

Any information will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Michael
Mandsbuchan

State/Region: ABERDEEN

Re: All in one

Postby Luis A M » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:34 pm

Welcome Michael.Could you complete the location data?.
I would make 3 breeding tanks and set a small sump underneath,with balls and perhaps a skimmer. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Postby downbydasea » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Hey Mads
Welcome to the site.
First off, anything is possible, just a matter of the effort you wnat to apply. The idea of a 40 breeder split into 3 is actually not such a stretch and after thinking a bit aout it, I can see it being very pratical and efficient with the right set up.
I actually have a couple of suggestions and I will try to include a drawing or 2 along the way, but for now here is a breif discription.
40g breeder split in 3rds 2 sections 10 to 12 gallons on the ends leaving 16 to 20 in the middle for the sump.
In the sump I would use a polypad pre filter the use Marinpure as your bio-filtration ( if you havent heard of marinpure i will send you some info as well if you would like to purchase some I can help there as well ) and then you just need a skimmer, heater, and return pump.....
The more I think about it this could be an awesome little space saving set up.
Anyway I will make some time later this evening to do a sketch up. Hell I have 4 extra 40s sitting around i may actually build one just for the hell of it.

James
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Postby Mandsbuchan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:39 am

Thanks guys for the replys.

In what order would it be best to organise the sump compartment i was thinking water comes through weirs to skimmer, pollypad, marine pure balls then pumped back into tank. Was thinking a retun pump with a T peice attached so the same pump could fill both compartments.

Also regarding the marine pure how much of the balls would be needed in a for 40g? and are they heavy as shipping from the US may be a bit expensive.

Cheers

Michael
Mandsbuchan

State/Region: ABERDEEN

Postby Picassoclowns » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:33 am

Sounds like fun..
Picassoclowns

Postby swjunkie » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:24 pm

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site and new to the breeding hobby. I was actually just thinking about this same thing today. I have a 40 g that I just picked up with the assumption that I would also divide it up into 3 sections. But I also thought about putting a divider along the length of the tank in the back and then dividing the rest of the tank into 3. I have had this tank for about 3 weeks empty and can not for the life of me decide what exactly I want to do with it.
swjunkie

State/Region: Illinois

Return to Equipment