Kaldnes® Biochip

Kaldnes® Biochip

Postby seaweed88 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 pm

Does anyone have any Kaldnes® Biochips for sale? I have the K1 media but do not have the chips. I would never use a bag of almost 1 cubic foot.....
Thanks
Mark
seaweed88

Re: Kaldnes® Biochip

Postby ClownfishHatchery » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:40 pm

Hey Mark
I havent heard of these before. What advantage do they serve and where can you buy them? Maybe we can split a bag?
ClownfishHatchery

Postby seaweed88 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:58 pm

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories ... es-Biochip
I have a bag of F1 but would like to add the Biochip
seaweed88

Postby ClownfishHatchery » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:55 pm

What is the benefit of the biochip?
ClownfishHatchery

Postby seaweed88 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:29 pm

The Biochip is much more than just a different shaped media. In addition to having a total protected surface area more than 2.4 times that of Kaldnes® K1, the protected area in Biochip is a great environment for micro animals, not just bacteria.

Micro animals feed on small particles such as fish waste, dead bacteria and algae. There are many different types of these micro animals, and they produce high levels of filtration. For example, Vortecilia filter 10,000 times their own volume per hour and feed on particles up to 5 microns in size. A hydrophilic layer in the Biochip creates extremely quiet zones in which micro animals can flourish, whereas other types of media would flush them out.
seaweed88

Postby ClownfishHatchery » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 am

Sounds like some good stuff. Are people usuing this instead of live rock or in addition to it?
ClownfishHatchery

Postby seaweed88 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

I am going to use it without rock to start. I am going to run sock, reactor, skimmer uv to start.
seaweed88

Postby downbydasea » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm

You should look into Marinepure from cermedia as an alternative to liverock....this stuff is awesome is all I can say...and not just because i am a dealer now but to have something that has both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria and the extreme surface area for its size is hard ...very hard to compare to anything else out there.
This link is to a year long comparison ...note it is in freshwater, however in the marine application the results are the same.

http://www.cermedia.com/MarinePure%20Pr ... Report.pdf

If you would like more info PM me and I can give you alot of info and pricing as well.
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Return to Equipment