My 200 gallon rotifer culture tank

My 200 gallon rotifer culture tank

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:13 pm

I had the camera out so i thought i'd share my rotifer culture tank.. I got tired of cleaning, siphoning out 5 gallon buckets so i am now using a 200 gallon cone bottom tank. Its made my culturing a breeze and sooo less time consuming.. i simply drain out 25% of water every day and the auto top off replaces the saltwater. The crud all accumulates at the bottom and is all washed out along with the water change. i simply pour the phyto into the top every day. The pictures not clear but the tank is sitting directly above a sink, I wish i had been using this over the past few years.. Keeping rotifers now is no longer a chore.

www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

State/Region: Florida

Re: My 200 gallon rotifer culture tank

Postby joebean » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 am

brilliant
do you scrub the sides or leave it as is
joebean

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:49 am

i use to scrub down the sides, but i found the algae helps keep down the nitrates/ phosphates and the film helps keep the ammonia in check (not a lot ) but helps. Its a lot more forgiving when i leave it alone. Its only a visual eye sore and really don't care much as long as the rotifers stay alive.. sometimes the algae will grow so big that it starts falling off in chunks by itself, but when it gets that big and clumps off, it falls to the bottom and gets flushed out along with the daily water changes,its a natural cycle and so i leave it alone.
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Postby ClownfishHatchery » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:59 pm

WOW! Thats a great idea. I love how you did it over the sink. Makes for easy disposal. 25% water change everyday sounds like a lot. Thats 50g of salt a day just for the rots. Thats 18,250g of saltwater for the year or 91.25 of the 200g boxes of Instant Ocean salt. Thats like $2,300 wholesale just for rotifer saltwater. I wish I had your budget. Good Luck :)
ClownfishHatchery

Postby TANKBREDAQUATICS » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:22 pm

Lol ! you have no idea how much salt i go through.. yes thats a lot but my fish love to be fed rots, my babies too. my corals go crazy for the rots also, and have mad polyp extension. can't get better then live food everyday,, no issues of waste, they don't add to my ammonia or nitrates, its a clean food (doesn't waste at the bottom of the tanks) and i like it.. it means less for me too clean up.. :wink:
www.TankBredAquatics.com
TANKBREDAQUATICS
Supporter

Return to Equipment