Broodstock Larvae systems?

Broodstock Larvae systems?

Postby downbydasea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:16 am

Just curious, I know the general opinion is to seperate the broodstock system from the Larvae system, my question is what in your opinion are the main disadvantages of incorporating them together?
I am experimenting with this technique and really looking for points to keep an eye on.

The plan is 4-10 gallon broodstock tanks on the same filtration system as 6-5.5 gallon tanks.
The return lines for the Larvae will go through a UV sterilizer other then that the filtration will be the same for both.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks
James
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Re: Broodstock Larvae systems?

Postby Luis A M » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

You can do it.I have. :wink:
But if youre meaning clowns,10 g should be minimum for GO.Many like 20s better.
Luis
Luis A M

Postby downbydasea » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:32 pm

Yes, sorry for not being specific, Clowns are what I am refering to.
Details of system would be 4 broodstock pairs in the 4-15g tanks. With 6-5.5g larva tanks, the specifics of the process are for another topic, however the larva will be caught and transfered from the brood tank into larva tanks and grown out to 30days then moved to a dedicated growout sytem with its own seperate filtration system.
When someone shares something of value with you, and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.
Chinese Proverb
downbydasea
MOFIB Member

Postby clownfishplanet » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 am

How would you manage the rotifers and the phyto to stay withing the larvae tanks if the water is recirculating to and from the main filtration system??
clownfishplanet

Postby Scottt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 am

I'd go with 10g larval tanks. I don't think smaller is a good idea unless you clowns make really small nests. To each their own though.
Scottt

Return to Equipment