DIY Kriessel

DIY Kriessel

Postby Armadus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:33 pm

I built this a bit ago and completely forgot to share it. I've been using a 2 gallon fish bowl to grow out my fry but I wasn't really happy with it. I have a problem with keeping the kriessel at a steady temperature. My tanks are in the garage so I've been putting the bowl in a 10g tank that is hooked into the system, essentially a warm water bath.

On top of that, the fish bowls are ugly and hard to see into. I also wanted a better way of circulating the water and didn't want to make a spray bar. With this kriessel, I attach a bubble wand with two suction cups to the back and i get even circulating flow through the entire thing. During the build, I thought it would be neat to have the kriessel self regulate the amount of water since I sometimes forget that I'm doing a water change. The cutout is covered by a piece of 51um mesh that is epoxied.

The parts I used are:
3/16th plexiglass sheet cut to 13"x14"
1/16th plexiglass sheet cut to fit
2 pieces of wood

I made a "box" using the wood and both sheets of 3/16th plexi. Then bent the 1/16th plexi sheet and cut it to size. To get the curve I used a heat gun as the thin plexi is fairly malleable. After letting the whole thing cool, I glued the 1/16th plexi sheet into the box. All in all, fairly simple.

If you look close to where the plexi is glued, you can see stress fractures. I do not know if it is because the curved piece is placing stress on the glue or if it is the property of the plexi cement, but I've seen regular plexi tanks (no curves) that exhibit the same fractures. Since I keep the kriessel submerged, I do not worry about leaks, however, there is no reason why the seams cannot be reinforced with silicone.

Hope this helps someone.
Thanks!

Armadus

Re: DIY Kriessel

Postby aquagrrl » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Very nice! I've been to the local plastic shop getting scraps so I can build something similar, but so far haven't actually done anything with it. Please share how it works once you have it set up.

If you do have to use silicone, you'll likely have to use dow 795 - most "normal" silicones don't adhere well to acrylic, but dow 795 is supposed to do a pretty good job.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Re: DIY Kriessel

Postby Armadus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been using this kriessel for a while now and I like it MUCH more than the fish bowls. With a bubble wand I get very even circulation and it is much easier to clean. Another reason I like it is I can move the entire flower pot into it and I don't have to finagle the pot through a small opening. I'm happy with it :)
Armadus

Return to Equipment