Building dividers

Building dividers

Postby dgiglio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 am

I'm starting to put together my broad stock tanks and I think for my clownfish I wanna use a 75g tank that I have laying around, and make dividers to split it into smaller tanks. So I have some questions, how much room does a breeding pair of clowns need and what can I use as dividers? Can they be see thru? Would egg crate work?
dgiglio

Re: Building dividers

Postby CoralAndFishDepot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:29 pm

Congrats on getting the tank together. 75g is a great size to divide up. If its a standard 75g tank it should be 48". I would personally make 4- 12" chambers. I would also not use eggcrate, but opt for black acrylic. Eggcrate may work fine, but I think its important that the pair have a little privacy and not be able to see each other. I found some 1/4" pieces locally at one of the glass repair shops or sometimes FastSigns or other sign making companies have the black acrylic. That along with some silicone and you are all set. Just make some "teeth" on the top and bottom of the dividers to help with circulation and you eill be all set. Good Luck!!
CoralAndFishDepot

Building dividers

Postby dgiglio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:42 pm

CoralAndFishDepot wrote:Congrats on getting the tank together. 75g is a great size to divide up. If its a standard 75g tank it should be 48". I would personally make 4- 12" chambers. I would also not use eggcrate, but opt for black acrylic. Eggcrate may work fine, but I think its important that the pair have a little privacy and not be able to see each other. I found some 1/4" pieces locally at one of the glass repair shops or sometimes FastSigns or other sign making companies have the black acrylic. That along with some silicone and you are all set. Just make some "teeth" on the top and bottom of the dividers to help with circulation and you eill be all set. Good Luck!!

Okay thanks a lot that helps me out greatly. I think that's what I'll do, do you thing that just making slits at the top and bottom of the acrylic will provide enough water flow? Or should I take a drill press and drill some 1/8-1/4" holes throughout the entire divider? Again thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
dgiglio

Postby CoralAndFishDepot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:55 pm

The drill press is a great idea!! Wish I had done that. A few more holes in the middle couldn't hurt. That way you get flow from the top, middle and bottom. The more flow the better!!! Post some pics of your progress and good luck!!
CoralAndFishDepot

Postby CoralAndFishDepot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:15 pm

These are samples of the ones I did. These were 20g High tanks drilled for bulk heads in the back. I am sure your will be much nicer.
I used the painters tape to hold dividers in place and then siliconed them in and removed the tape for a somooth straight edge to the silicone.

I have since painted the sides black and the bottoms white. I would love more flow so I have to drain the tanks and then drill another bulkhead in the left side so I can have an overflow in each chamber.
CoralAndFishDepot

Building dividers

Postby dgiglio » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 pm

CoralAndFishDepot wrote:These are samples of the ones I did. These were 20g High tanks drilled for bulk heads in the back. I am sure your will be much nicer.
I used the painters tape to hold dividers in place and then siliconed them in and removed the tape for a somooth straight edge to the silicone.

I have since painted the sides black and the bottoms white. I would love more flow so I have to drain the tanks and then drill another bulkhead in the left side so I can have an overflow in each chamber.

What was the purpose of painting the sides? Privacy?

I'm still debating how ill do the slits in the dividers, I was originally thinking about making mine like a grill, with horizontal slits made from a router now I'm second guessing it because I don't want to make them so weak that they flex a lot... I'm about to order the acrylic now hoping to get it by Saturday...
dgiglio

Postby CoralAndFishDepot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Yes I painted the sides for privacy since the tanks were going to be in a row next to each other and I think it was a cleaner look that I liked :-)

Don't make too many slits/teeth casue the pairs will be able to see each other easier.
CoralAndFishDepot

Building dividers

Postby dgiglio » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:09 pm

Hey just curious, how thick is that acrylic that you used? I found a place locally that sells black acrylic but they only had 1/8" thick I wonder if 1/8" will work...
dgiglio

Building dividers

Postby dgiglio » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:47 pm

Okay so this weekend I got some work done. I decided to go buy a long over due table saw so I could make the dividers for my 75g. I bought the acrylic from a place down here in New Orleans, it was like 96$ for a full sheet of 1/8" black acrylic. I used my new awesome table saw ( :) )to make slits at the top and bottom of each divider. also I used liquid two part to hold it all together instead of aquarium silicone, since i didn't need to completely seal each divider, and didn't want to wait the full 24hrs for the silicone to cure. Also I painted the entire back and both sides black to add extra privacy for the breeding fish. Then to combat the issue of flow I decided I would drill 4 overflows into the tank. And instead of using one return pump I'm going to be using two, one on each side. And then if there's still a flow issue ill put two Y barbs on each pump making four returns, one for each chamber.

On my way home from work today Ill pick up the bulk heads, then when I get home I'm going to drill the four overflows and I should be ready for water... Hopefully...

Also I will for sure post some better pics tonight or in the morning...
dgiglio

Return to Equipment