How many holes are too many?

How many holes are too many?

Postby aquagrrl » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:33 am

Setting up a new rack for broodstock, and I have used 20 gallon aquariums. They all are drilled, but they're some crazy, wonky size holes that I haven't found anything will fit. I've had to redrill most of them (well, my husband has). It's gone smoothly, except one of the tanks, the hole was too near the edge. It already had a second hole that was repaired with a piece of glass, siliconed to the bottom covering it. It too is too close to the edge.

What we decided to do was drill a 3rd hole, on the opposite side of the bottom. So now there are three holes. I'm going to remove the glass from the first covered hole, and put a single piece over the two holes. My question though, is will having that many holes reduce the strength of the bottom too much? Or is the piece of glass to cover the two holes going to be enough.

If it matters, this is a 20h aquarium.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Re: How many holes are too many?

Postby Luis A M » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:57 am

The piece of glass glued to the bottom will keep it strong. :wink:
Luis
Luis A M

Re: How many holes are too many?

Postby onsan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:56 am

Typically, but depending on you tank stand, the bottom is the most supported pane of glass, as long as you've protected it from pressure points with foam you should be fine, especially if there's a horizontal cross brace in the base.
onsan

Return to Equipment