Need help setting up a few breeding tanks

Postby dgiglio » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:39 pm

I currently have a few cb cardinals that I saved from a prior batch of offspring. I lost one of my original pair due to not being prepared so I don't want that to happen ever again. I like to make 3 separate tanks to get 3 pairs of banggai cardinals in. Should I do this by plumbing 3 10 gallon tanks together? Also should I keep them bare tanks or should I put macro algae of some kind which sand bottoms?
dgiglio

Re: Need help setting up a few breeding tanks

Postby aquagrrl » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 pm

It's kind of up to you. There is an inherent risk to shared systems, because of cross contamination. But they have many advantages, so many people, myself included, use them. A big one is less equipment. More water volume also means more stable water conditions. And if you're doing water changes, it's on one system, not them all.

If you quarantine everything before placing in a shared system, you help greatly reduce risks of illness. Nothing can completely rule it out, but it can reduce the risk. A UV sterilizer can help as well (though you will find there is tons of conflicting opinions on whether or not it helps).

As for sand on the bottom, I wouldn't. That's just more extra work for you. Macro isn't bad, though I think most people would go without, and use macros in the sump for nutrient control. You will probably not want the tanks completely bare - having decorations and hiding places for the fish to feel secure is a good idea. PVC pipe is frequently used because it's cheap and easy to clean. For something like cardinals, you may want something taller; plastic plants are easy enough to clean and relatively cheap.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby dgiglio » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:48 pm

aquagrrl wrote:It's kind of up to you. There is an inherent risk to shared systems, because of cross contamination. But they have many advantages, so many people, myself included, use them. A big one is less equipment. More water volume also means more stable water conditions. And if you're doing water changes, it's on one system, not them all.

If you quarantine everything before placing in a shared system, you help greatly reduce risks of illness. Nothing can completely rule it out, but it can reduce the risk. A UV sterilizer can help as well (though you will find there is tons of conflicting opinions on whether or not it helps).

As for sand on the bottom, I wouldn't. That's just more extra work for you. Macro isn't bad, though I think most people would go without, and use macros in the sump for nutrient control. You will probably not want the tanks completely bare - having decorations and hiding places for the fish to feel secure is a good idea. PVC pipe is frequently used because it's cheap and easy to clean. For something like cardinals, you may want something taller; plastic plants are easy enough to clean and relatively cheap.

Hey thanks for the reply, I'm definitely looking to have a larger volume of water since I'm sure I lost a lot of cardinals in the beginning due to rapid water fluctuations. What have you found that works well for making dividers but not restricting flow? Also any recommendations on foods that will increase the growth?
dgiglio

Postby dgiglio » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:49 pm

Also I do use QT for all new arrivals so that's not as much of an issue.
dgiglio

Re: Need help setting up a few breeding tanks

Postby aquagrrl » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 am

I'm not using a single tank; I'm using multiple tanks and a flow through system. I keep mostly seahorses so some of the things may not apply to you. If they aren't too distracted by it, you could try egg crate as a divider - but I'm not sure if seeing other pairs will cause problems.
- Tami
FusedJaw.com - It's all about the snick!
aquagrrl

Postby dgiglio » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 am

aquagrrl wrote:I'm not using a single tank; I'm using multiple tanks and a flow through system. I keep mostly seahorses so some of the things may not apply to you. If they aren't too distracted by it, you could try egg crate as a divider - but I'm not sure if seeing other pairs will cause problems.

Okay thanks.
I started building my broad stock tanks this weekend. Basically I built a stand that's 24" wide x 36" long which is long enough for 3 10g tanks. And wide enough to leave a 4" lip on the front with a 30g sump. For now I'm just going to use 2 10g tanks. I drilled both tanks for 1" bulk heads, for the drains. I started using PVC to make plumbing and ended up cracked the glass on one of the tanks. So I decided since 10g tanks have such thin glass that I would use soft tubing for all the plumbing. Can anyone tell me if they know of any issues I might have using soft tubing instead of PVC?
dgiglio

Return to Equipment